So What Got You Into Window Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Gmeister, Mar 20, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

We have had questions on this forum like how long been window cleaning or what you did before window cleaning.

But what got you into window cleaning?

It got me thinking

I read this article someone posted on this forum a little while ago, how this guy (cut a long story short) mentioned how when your at school/collage/uni that no one wants to be a window cleaner, F that, window cleaning is low in life, and not even a career etc. etc.

Yet here we are in life, window cleaning!

For me it was cause I could never get a job, my mate suggested window cleaning, I was like no chance!
    He was like why not try it so we did, window cleaning on Saturdays(this was when I was living in my own flat) me and him window cleaning(he had a job in week)

Broke my cartilage on my knee so stopped for 9 months and sold round,(then I was living with parents) This time last year decided to go alone.

Okay struggling to get more customers, but I can see the potential and possible money made!

Also weirdly can be calm and relaxing (on the windows)

So what got you into window cleaning?

Advertisement
  2. David Taylor

David Taylor Well-Known Member

I got into window cleaning while i was in security work after leaving the army (soul destroying job)... My mate is an Irata level 3 working on rigs and inland, he said if i got my level 1 he`d get me some work on the ropes.

the problem was i wasn`t an electrician, roofer etc so window cleaning was the easiest option to get me working.

Did my Irata and passed so then went to BWCA to get some knowledge of window cleaning and the guy down there opened my eyes to working for myself instead of £10-15 quid an hour working for some one else.

Here I am 4 years later my own man looking after my own little business.

3. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

i became a window cleaner, as couldnt get a job around child care, could only get child care 3 days a week, so need a job on them days, plus spent 5 years on sick with a spine, neck pelvis problem, so couldnt even get interviews, and was sick of plumbing

4. Catherine

Catherine Guest

Really good question Gmeister, I think from talking to some of the lads I work for - that have been going a while, it wasnt so competitive. So a few years ago, it would have been an easy industry to move into. But now I think its quite a tough industry. Especially with the movement of modern equipment etc.... think it opens up a whole new ball game. Especially on the commercial side.
    Some of my clients are over 50, so they must have seen it all.

5. HotWash Window Cleaners

I have worked in field sales, tv licensing, upholstery, pc repairs, water ballast treatment, groundwork. It's all about earning money for someone else, I worked for my friend who has thousands of houses traditional and modern cleaning, saw how much fun we all had, saw how much money my friend was making. He lives in the dark ages and struggles with technology and I don't, so here I am, self employed sole trader earning money for my self. I could not go back to working indoors with people I don't like, why be fake every day, times are sometimes harder working for yourself but all the reward is yours. The ability to be me all day long. How relaxing is that. No knives being stuck between the shoulder blades. Honest days graft for decent amount of money.

Happy days Hotwash window cleaners Plymouth.

6. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Been wanting to get out of DJ'ing for a few years and couldn't think what to get into, thought about an online record shop selling used vinyl and mp3 so taught myself how to build a website using oscommerce etc but didn't like those, tried mambo but ended up building it with joomla and virtuemart after joomla split from mambo. Anyway I digress but you did ask G, I decided I just didn't have the time to do this so gave up on the idea and about a year and a half ago I was thinking one day that I hadn't seen a window cleaner around our way since chap that did ours passed away and me being scared of heights just decided on the spur of the moment that I was gonna do it. Yep and the second I started about 6 months later it was like a swarm of window cleaners around our way, typical.

aaaand breath

7. Catherine

Catherine Guest

3 in and 3 out dodge,

8. Posh

Posh Hero

The lovely wonderful English weather

9. dth

dth Active Member

:) :) :)

10. Masons

Masons Guru

I was bullied through school, so didn't get to concentrate on what I enjoyed and just trying to cope. Left school with just above average grades and bought into a round with some money my parents had saved for me.

10 years later. Here I am. I enjoy cleaning windows, can earn what I want and work when i want. I've got a round that is perfect for me, just gotta get surgery out the way and then the only way is up.

Advertisement