Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Soft wash chemicals ???

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sodium hypoclorite from bonnymans or hexeal chemicals for bulk buying or mklords on ebay for small orders of 25l or so

For surfactant buy Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide

it is the same stuff benz add to their hypo ( sodium hypoclorite) to make blackwash as it is just their own mix of hypo and surfactant

hypo and clever wash is your best bet not saying benz is no good but £10 for 20leters of hypo goes a long way clever wash £35 for 5 leters that will treat 10 drums of hypo , some say its expencive but i think its well worth it as it boost sh very well  :1f44d:

hypo and clever wash is your best bet not saying benz is no good but £10 for 20leters of hypo goes a long way clever wash £35 for 5 leters that will treat 10 drums of hypo , some say its expencive but i think its well worth it as it boost sh very well  :1f44d:
Cleverwash is basically the same stuff

Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide is only £18.20 for 5 litres

No point paying for the same chemicals with a big mark up just for the name

Cleverwash is basically the same stuff

Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide is only £18.20 for 5 litres

No point paying for the same chemicals with a big mark up just for the name
i never new that dave and very true m8  :2_thumbs_up_-_animated:

I bought Surfa-Max surfactant from Bonnymans, think it was less than £20 for 5 litres. It says 5 litres is enough to treat 10 times 25 litre drums of hypo, that's 250 litres of hypo or 200 to 1

Would that mean, 4 litres of water plus 1 litre of hypo and 10ml of surfactant? I think

to treat 10 drums of hypo i put sufactent in neat hypo that would be 250 / 300mill in each drum shake to mix then i fill a 25leter drum with neat to a 3rd or what ever % 2,3,5, or what ever,then fill with water to top 

From experience I have found that whatever you put into hypo surficant wise if it’s not used within a few hours the hypo kills the effectiveness of the addertives , so this makes me wonder how these firms sell pre mixed stuff and it works ? Any explanations by our experts ? 

Hypo loses it's effectiveness over time anyway and quicker when kept in a hot shed in summer etc and once opened

I wait until I need it to mix it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypo loses it's effectiveness over time anyway and quicker when kept in a hot shed in summer etc and once opened

I wait until I need it to mix it

Yes i quite agree and I do the same but how do these firms sell pre mixed stuff prevent it loosing its effectiveness Ime talking about the surficant s power , as an example if you put fairy in hypo and use it straight away it’s fine and throths up and stays on the surface, if you put it into the hypo and use it a couple of days later it does nothing as the hypo has killed its effectiveness and one assumes has weekend the hypo in the process from personal experience this seems to be the same whatever you use as a surficant 

Absolutely no idea lol

I have noticed the same with leftover mix used later on

I came across this on YouTube and it looks pretty good, plus it’s a lot cheaper than a Doseatron

Anyone on here using one or have any feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i quite agree and I do the same but how do these firms sell pre mixed stuff prevent it loosing its effectiveness Ime talking about the surficant s power , as an example if you put fairy in hypo and use it straight away it’s fine and throths up and stays on the surface, if you put it into the hypo and use it a couple of days later it does nothing as the hypo has killed its effectiveness and one assumes has weekend the hypo in the process from personal experience this seems to be the same whatever you use as a surficant 
Iv'e forgotten how exactly it works as my head is full of many many things like this but here goes:if you have sodium hypochlorite and add sodium hydroxide,the hydroxide will take an atom from the hypochlorite making it more longer lasting as in it won't break down so easily giving it a bit longer shelf life,thus you can use less hypochlorite when mixed with the hydroxide,add to that a surfactant that it specific to both hypo and hydroxide bearing in mind the desired ph level and the optimum ph of the water its dissolved in would make the surfactant boost and work at its best,

surfactants play a very important part in the whole process as a cleaning agent, popping things like fairy etc into hypo will produce a product that won't perform anywhere near the off the shelf products,as they are not designed for that purpose preservatives in lets say fairy or any another washing up liquid would contain a quartererny ammonium or quat to keep its shelf life as you'll know quats and hypo will release a toxic gas when mixed so that's something to avoid.

Iv'e forgotten how exactly it works as my head is full of many many things like this but here goes:if you have sodium hypochlorite and add sodium hydroxide,the hydroxide will take an atom from the hypochlorite making it more longer lasting as in it won't break down so easily giving it a bit longer shelf life,thus you can use less hypochlorite when mixed with the hydroxide,add to that a surfactant that it specific to both hypo and hydroxide bearing in mind the desired ph level and the optimum ph of the water its dissolved in would make the surfactant boost and work at its best,

surfactants play a very important part in the whole process as a cleaning agent, popping things like fairy etc into hypo will produce a product that won't perform anywhere near the off the shelf products,as they are not designed for that purpose preservatives in lets say fairy or any another washing up liquid would contain a quartererny ammonium or quat to keep its shelf life as you'll know quats and hypo will release a toxic gas when mixed so that's something to avoid.

I'm glad you cleared that up. I will just mix away until I get the formula that works.

Thats very interesting reading Kevin, what sort of quantity of Sodium Hydroxide would you add to Sodium Hypoclorite, can it be added in a powder form or would it need to be liquid ?

Dennis

hi dennis,just saw the reply,the precise ratios are kept secret and I wish I knew,to be fair just so I knew, blending hypo and hydroxide is not something anyone in their right mind would want do at home,its something I wouldn't even think about as its cheaper to buy blackwash and know in your own mind its all good,we are window cleaners just by our nature we want the cheapest of the cheap but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy some quality,

Back