Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Soft wash chemicals ???

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Evening Forum,

Quick question. I’ve got my hypo supply sorted, but now looking at surfactant. I was going to buy from a softwash supplier, until I found this thread and mention of Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide. 

My question is, what volume to I add? Soft wash surfactant is 300ml to 25l drum as I understand it. Is LAO the same?

Cheers. 

Evening Forum,

Quick question. I’ve got my hypo supply sorted, but now looking at surfactant. I was going to buy from a softwash supplier, until I found this thread and mention of Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide. 

My question is, what volume to I add? Soft wash surfactant is 300ml to 25l drum as I understand it. Is LAO the same?

Cheers. 
Yes you are right ?

the problem is, all the dilution ratios boil down to an american (not going to name him), he just calls it surfactant, which one,  as i have no idea as there is many thousands of them out there.

also with the usa being 90% very hard water whereas we are a  mixture of soft to hard and very hard water there is no common denominator here in the uk so you have to adapt things a bit to suit.

i read through your posts @handy.foxand it seems you are doing a bit of everything which is-

fair enough its what i did when i first started out, it seems that you want to be cleaning walls on houses by your past posts hypo and tarmac do not get along so bear that in mind if you go down the softwashing route, its no easy money maker as mistakes happen so so quick-trust me on this one in the early days you can make simple mistakes that can ruin cars,driveways next doors clothes on the clothes line, and all sorts of things if you don't do the research first and learn from it. whatever drips off from that wall would/will bleach it so tarmac/flowers/grass you name it will be bleached or killed aswell.

i'm not trying to put you off mate but, buying a bit of hypo and a bit of surfactant and cracking on is a recipe for disaster/or being sued.

research,research, and research and ask questions before you go for that road paved with gold its not ,

the bulgarians have already have nicked it and gone home with it

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem is, all the dilution ratios boil down to an american (not going to name him), he just calls it surfactant, which one,  as i have no idea as there is many thousands of them out there.

also with the usa being 90% very hard water whereas we are a  mixture of soft to hard and very hard water there is no common denominator here in the uk so you have to adapt things a bit to suit.

i read through your posts @handy.foxand it seems you are doing a bit of everything which is-

fair enough its what i did when i first started out, it seems that you want to be cleaning walls on houses by your past posts hypo and tarmac do not get along so bear that in mind if you go down the softwashing route, its no easy money maker as mistakes happen so so quick-trust me on this one in the early days you can make simple mistakes that can ruin cars,driveways next doors clothes on the clothes line, and all sorts of things if you don't do the research first and learn from it. whatever drips off from that wall would/will bleach it so tarmac/flowers/grass you name it will be bleached or killed aswell.

i'm not trying to put you off mate but, buying a bit of hypo and a bit of surfactant and cracking on is a recipe for disaster/or being sued.

research,research, and research and ask questions before you go for that road paved with gold its not ,

the bulgarians have already have nicked it and gone home with it
Hi Mate,

Cheers for this. Totally get you. 
I’m being as careful as I can, based on watching/reading loads of posts, forums, pages etc. I’ve learnt a fair bit already! Saturating run-off ground, wind impact, etc etc. 

I’ve done washing before, when painting outdoors. Cleaning down before painting. 
I just called it ‘prep’ before!!

I’m 100% positive I haven’t got it all worked out yet, but I’m getting there with help from you guys, and massively appreciate any tips people give me. 

Next on my research list is; what (if anything) to use as a scent masker!

?

Back