Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Self cleaning glass.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Steve E

have a large bungalow booked for Monday. This is my 1st time there. There is a large sunroom with self cleaning glass. The customer wants me to clean gutters and soffits above. ( gutters are literally green!) Then clean self cleaning glass in and out.

Is it safe to WFP the gutters and let residue run over the glass?

Can I run brush over the glass?

How should inside be cleaned? When I quoted there were a lot of cobwebs.

I am 6 months in so no experience of this type of glass.

Should I refuse this part of the job?

Any advice much appreciated.

Ps I have trad gear as well.

have a large bungalow booked for Monday. This is my 1st time there. There is a large sunroom with self cleaning glass. The customer wants me to clean gutters and soffits above. ( gutters are literally green!) Then clean self cleaning glass in and out.
Is it safe to WFP the gutters and let residue run over the glass?
Can I run brush over the glass?
How should inside be cleaned? When I quoted there were a lot of cobwebs.
I am 6 months in so no experience of this type of glass.
Should I refuse this part of the job?
Any advice much appreciated.
Ps I have trad gear as well.
Clean as normal rinse x3 rough guide

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Pure is fine for the roof

you will find that alot of **** will come out from under the plastic black seals as you clean the glass so it will take forever for it to stop so take par timers advice what ever you think it will be and double it and then it might be too cheap.

Pure is fine for the roof

you will find that alot of **** will come out from under the plastic black seals as you clean the glass so it will take forever for it to stop so take par timers advice what ever you think it will be and double it and then it might be too cheap.

Thank you all so much for that advice. As i work on my own i have found this forum invaluable. It has given me the confidence to go ahead.

I haven't got to do the roof (which is plastic anyway) it's the gutters and soffits about 9ft off the ground and then five large panes of self cleaning underneath. Approx 2m x 1m

I will rinse and rinse!

So are you all in agreement that insides will be normal? And it's ok to brush the outside glass? I have slx from gardiners and the brush that came with it.

Sorry to be such a fa@#y but I have become a bit paranoid lately after scratching some glass. (Unrelated to this post)

The customers are lovely but quite old so I'm not sure on the info I will get from them.

For info I am doing rest of house and another large conservatory as Well, all normal glass so job is worthwhile taking on if I can get it right.

Self cleaning glass is a dream to clean WFP, it sheets lovely. Doing the internal may be a different ball game as sometimes self cleaning glass will make your squeegee drag a lot more than normal glass.

So self cleaning glass with wfp, You need a soft brush as in a flocked bristled brush to avoid damaging the coating and you can only use water no cleaning solutions at all and that includes any house guttering etc were it will get onto the sf glass. 

Cleaning panel by panel I rinse heavily from the top first then gently brush side to side as the tiny specs of dirt take 3-4 times longer to rinse down, I have used a clients outside tap and hose before to get which speeds things up rapidly to give an initial rinse down and get rid of loads of the trapped dirt and sometimes a final rinse down with tap water then a quick going over with pure. 

I would sooner do 2 polycarb conny roofs than 1 sf glass roof  :1f602:  dirt is a bloody nightmare to shift at times 

You can use a mild bleach solution or 2% hypo on gutters and fascias to destroy the dirt and that will not effect self cleaning glass whatsoever 

I clean self cleaning conservatories with hypo on a regular basis

A spray bottle 50/50 Sainsburys thick bleach/water is perfectly fine to spray on the brush to help scrubbing the gutters etc

We use virosol diluted 10/1 on self cleaning glass and never had a problem but on another forum someone did this and it caused a funny stain , there is a neutralising agent that you can put on the glass if this happens but I cannot remember what they said it was 

You can use a mild bleach solution or 2% hypo on gutters and fascias to destroy the dirt and that will not effect self cleaning glass whatsoever 

I clean self cleaning conservatories with hypo on a regular basis

A spray bottle 50/50 Sainsburys thick bleach/water is perfectly fine to spray on the brush to help scrubbing the gutters etc
Thanks for all of the advice lads. You all have a great pool of knowledge and experience. 

I will do gutters and facias then use a soft sponge on the self cleaning glass (as its easy to reach)and rinse off using pure. I will order a soft flocked brush for the next time I do the job.

There is so much more to this job than meets the eye!

Back