Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Softwash render with not much outcome

AlfaMike

Evening all,

Added Softwashing to my list of jobs earlier this year and had 3 or 4 jobs so far. All gone well, but was asked to clean a friends house the other day.

I used 2.5% sh mix with cleverwash added in. I sprayed it on, left it for about 45 mins, then rinsed off. Went back over with a brush because not much had happened. Even sprayed Gel X Pro on it then rinsed that off but… didn’t do a thing!

Does anybody have any ideas why there hasn’t been any significant change, or if there was something I should have done? Would a biocide potentially be a better option?

Luckily it was a freebee, else I would have given the money back.

Live in Cornwall and the property is in an elevated position a few miles from the sea - not sure if this would have anything to do with it. Attached before and after pictures for you to see.

90BD6850-7969-42C0-870F-4E73A450FC8D.jpeg03635851-298D-46E1-ACE2-1AD2FB47B7A5.jpeg
Thanks,

AM

Not sure from the pictures is it painted cement render ? Bare cement render ? Or k rend ?? Did you wet the wall down before applying the mix ?? Could be the wall has absorbed it rather than it staying on the surface , jobs like this we always apply 2-3 applications and let it dwell for 20-40 muinits then light scrub rinse job done

Attachments

• 66489A16-3569-49EA-84F7-E5F2B1AD0E34.jpeg
    66489A16-3569-49EA-84F7-E5F2B1AD0E34.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4EE9982F-3A10-4039-81AF-A2E76C7A1598.jpeg
    4EE9982F-3A10-4039-81AF-A2E76C7A1598.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Looking at the pictures again it has started to work as you can see the cleaner run lines , think you need to give the wall a good soaking before applying the mix , also a slightly stronger mix will speed up the process .practise makes perfect

Looking at the pictures again it has started to work as you can see the cleaner run lines , think you need to give the wall a good soaking before applying the mix , also a slightly stronger mix will speed up the process .practise makes perfect
Thanks for your reply and advice. I was under the impression that if you wet the walls first, it wouldn’t ‘stick’ to the wall very well. So it’s good to hear something different!

It’s K Rend. I did apply a bit of neat hypo to a very small part and it did nothing. It’s 11% hypo, is that ok or should I be going for 14/15%? It’s a shame it didn’t work well but there we go.

The pictures you posted… was that just a few goes over with a standard sh solution via a spray nozzle? Or do you brush it in as well?

Thanks again,

AM

The pictures I put up it was several applications then scrub with wfp and rinse we generally use 10% strength hypo as that’s all I can get locally, on jobs like that we use it 4-1 4 parts water 1 part hypo with a bit of surfactant , it’s important to thourouly wet down any porous surface before applying the mix or it will be absorbed into the wall you want it on the surface.

The pictures I put up it was several applications then scrub with wfp and rinse we generally use 10% strength hypo as that’s all I can get locally, on jobs like that we use it 4-1 4 parts water 1 part hypo with a bit of surfactant , it’s important to thourouly wet down any porous surface before applying the mix or it will be absorbed into the wall you want it on the surface.
Thanks for all the advice Pjj, much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply and advice. I was under the impression that if you wet the walls first, it wouldn’t ‘stick’ to the wall very well. So it’s good to hear something different!

It’s K Rend. I did apply a bit of neat hypo to a very small part and it did nothing. It’s 11% hypo, is that ok or should I be going for 14/15%? It’s a shame it didn’t work well but there we go.

The pictures you posted… was that just a few goes over with a standard sh solution via a spray nozzle? Or do you brush it in as well?

Thanks again,

AM
As a precautionary measure I tend to pre-wet most surfaces before applying hypo and always a good idea in sunny weather to cool the surface

Latest Posts

Back