Solar panel cleaning.

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by AJ windows, Oct 17, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. AJ windows

AJ windows Active Member

One of my customers is a solar panel installer, so I thought I'd ask his advice on cleaning them etc. He told me that the panels need switching off in 2 places and tested before and after the cleans to make sure they are working correctly before and after the job. Or the customer could put the onus on you should there be a fault occur. Bearing in mind the price of replacing a faulty panel and the price of erecting scaffolding is very costly. What precautions do you take if any and do you any of you follow this route bearing in mind to have a qualified tester present would be approximately £50.

Advertisement
  2. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

gd question A J I have asked the local installers the same question, his reply was to just clean them
    no problems at all so who is right

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

You can't turn them off is the correct answer as each panel which makes up an array with still continue to produce a direct current output in daylight.

4. keir

keir Guru

Load of ******** i reckon, what happens when it rains? Does the owner have to switch them off then get them tested when the sun comes back out?
    What about torrential rain? Do you have to scaffold, and remove them and put em in the garage?
    As an installer i would suggest he is spouting what his bosses say i.e. Earn money for old rope, blag the customer/uneducated
    Just my opinion bud

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. AJ windows

AJ windows Active Member

I'm pretty sure no insurance company would pay out should you not take the right path. And I'm thinking the risk outweighs the possible gain.

6. keir

keir Guru

Solar steve is the man on this subject

7. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

i,ve asked sparky,s this many times and they have all said the same
    just clean them

8. You can't turn off the dc open circuit. But on most (or all the ones I've come across) grid tie inverters, there is an ac trip switch. Whether or not you'll benefit from disconnecting from the grid is another issue.

9. Neil

Neil Grand Master

Solar Steve is the man for cleaning solar panels but he never shares any of his knowledge so he's pretty useless to us in my honest opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

yeh Neil your right why join a forum when your scared to share your knowledge

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
Advertisement