Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buying a van?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thats a big van for window cleaning?
Ive got a transporter, and its a fantastic van. i think i might switch to a new transit connect, with the 1000kg payload so i can still use the same size tank but in a more compact van, which should be easier to park...
I reckon those new transit connects will make great window cleaning vans but haven't seen anyone on the road with one yet - they all seem to be choosing the Ford Custom.

Hi Eviestevie - would you recommend a servicing a new van after X1 year of ownership?
Service centres seem to suggest x2 years.....cheers
I have a reasonably new expert that's recommended a service every couple of years, but I air on the side of caution and have it done annually and I only do 5000 miles a year

I reckon those new transit connects will make great window cleaning vans but haven't seen anyone on the road with one yet - they all seem to be choosing the Ford Custom.
i don't think the connects have been around as long. It looks like the 240's(1000kg payload) are fairly uncommon, and then they are generally the flash "limited" job's... but they do look ideal, long enough internally for poles to be stowed easily, a bit lower for loading ladders, good payload, and easy to park...

I have a reasonably new expert that's recommended a service every couple of years, but I air on the side of caution and have it done annually and I only do 5000 miles a year
I think I might book it in as well.......in fact I did book it in but when I called back with some other info they noticed it was getting a sevice after X1 year and cancelled it!

5000 miles per year is good going - your round must be nice & compact

Hi Eviestevie - would you recommend a servicing a new van after X1 year of ownership?
Service centres seem to suggest x2 years.....cheers
Hi what van is mate

Does it do a lot of short journeys mainly ?

If so every 6000 mile oil and filter change and you will have no problems

A lot of modern Diesel engines have premature turbo failure,egr problems etc etc

The problem usual lies with poor servicing then the engine then carbonises and basically blocks up the pipes leading to wrecked engines!

Oil and filter £50 is it worth not doing?

I think I might book it in as well.......in fact I did book it in but when I called back with some other info they noticed it was getting a sevice after X1 year and cancelled it!
5000 miles per year is good going - your round must be nice & compact
After 21 years of customising the round, yes its compact

I use a Vauxhall combo lwb 1000kg payload and you can fit poles in back.

I had the floor speedlinered which if you plan on keeping the van for a while I would recommend.

I looked at the new transit connect but they were very new out at the time and very pricey.

Hi what van is mateDoes it do a lot of short journeys mainly ?

If so every 6000 mile oil and filter change and you will have no problems

A lot of modern Diesel engines have premature turbo failure,egr problems etc etc

The problem usual lies with poor servicing then the engine then carbonises and basically blocks up the pipes leading to wrecked engines!

Oil and filter £50 is it worth not doing?
:thumbsup:

It's one of your favourites mate - a Bi Turbo Vauxhall Vivaro Diesal.

It's still going in tommorrow to take care of some bits under warranty (squeaky brakes, stiff gear box and clutch slave component needs looking at as clutch gets stuck down every now and again e.g need to put my foot underneath and pull it back up.

Apart from the above!.......it has been a good van so far /emoticons/smile.png

Will end up doing 7.5k by end of year one - mainly short journeys. One long journey per week.

Do you think just oil mate?

I don't mind spending a bit of extra cash on anything else worth looking at for its first check up.

Cheers fella

It's still going in tommorrow to take care of some bits under warranty (squeaky brakes, stiff gear box and clutch slave component needs looking at as clutch gets stuck down every now and again e.g need to put my foot underneath and pull it back up.

Will end up doing 7.5k by end of year one - mainly short journeys. One long journey per week.

I don't mind spending a bit of extra cash on anything else worth looking at for its first check up.

Cheers fella
Yes mate oil and filter will be fine modern diesel are actually dirty engines that produce a lot of carbon

But with pressure on to lower emissions etc etc they now have to run dpf filters and complicated egr systems

I actually think window cleaning is one of the worst jobs for a dirty engine

Stop,start,short journeys,cold running temp I between jobs etc takes much more out the engine then blasting up and down a motor way

Changing the oil and giving it a good thrash out is the best thing bar none for keeping these engines trouble free

Yes mate oil and filter will be fine modern diesel are actually dirty engines that produce a lot of carbonBut with pressure on to lower emissions etc etc they now have to run dpf filters and complicated egr systems

Stop,start,short journeys,cold running temp I between jobs etc takes much more out the engine then blasting up and down a motor way

Changing the oil and giving it a good thrash out is the best thing bar none for keeping these engines trouble free
Clutch peddles sticking down mate is common issue in them vans usually a leak on he clutch,slave cylinder system

Cheers fella
Yes mate oil and filter will be fine modern diesel are actually dirty engines that produce a lot of carbonBut with pressure on to lower emissions etc etc they now have to run dpf filters and complicated egr systems

Cheers Eviestevie :rock:

Is the gearbox stiff when cold?they usually are then fine when warm
That's right bud - first thing in the morning is worst.

The issues don't sound good on paper (gear box, clutch & brakes) but I'm pretty confident that's it's just issues that can be easily sorted out - fingers crossed!

That's right bud - first thing in the morning is worst.
The issues don't sound good on paper (gear box, clutch & brakes) but I'm pretty confident that's it's just issues that can be easily sorted out - fingers crossed!
Seems common on the van mate I wouldn't worry specially with warranty!

after hering that im defo guna give the new vivaro a miss 7..5 k ide expect nuffing to go rong

swb lf sprinter same size as vivaro transit traffic /emoticons/biggrin.png also @Damo uses a new transit custom i believe

ive sin these vans dpd use them they have a funny high roof the turn on a 6 spence them things:cool:

@Eviestevie !

£190 for oil & filter change!!!!!

Got them down to £160 but still said no. Just going to do it local back at home. It's a 7.5l change of oil so can imagine it being at least £80-90 but not £1hundredandfrickin90!!

Apparently there's also x4 recall items they need to work on and it could be in for x2 days........which is a problem as I'm sat in Epsom but live in Brighton.

I've said that I need it back today and to crack on & get it done.

At worst they can just not replace the door handles and other 'minor' recall jobs......which can wait.

How wrong can a door handle go?????........famous last words /emoticons/wink.png

@Eviestevie !
£190 for oil & filter change!!!!!

Got them down to £160 but still said no. Just going to do it local back at home. It's a 7.5l change of oil so can imagine it being at least £80-90 but not £1hundredandfrickin90!!

Apparently there's also x4 recall items they need to work on and it could be in for x2 days........which is a problem as I'm sat in Epsom but live in Brighton.

I've said that I need it back today and to crack on & get it done.

At worst they can just not replace the door handles and other 'minor' recall jobs......which can wait.

How wrong can a door handle go?????........famous last words /emoticons/wink.png
That's the stealers for ya!!!!!

How often are you choosing to get it serviced Damo .....is it literally 30k or are you doing it yearly / 2 yearly

Back