Son put off window cleaning by bin man LOL

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by johnny bravo, Aug 15, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. johnny bravo

Managed to get my son out last week, some trad some wfp. had him wash trad and i bladed off, break him in gently. let him do some wfp , he was doing ok. gave him £25 for 4 hours work. he was very pleased with getting paid. plus a 50p tip by a chap who said about his change, ahh give it to the kid. my son reminded me when getting paid, so it became £25.50p.
    any way while cleaning the binmen were doing there rounds, they are fine always acknowledge each other while working.
    One says to my son If you got better grades at school you wouldnt have to clean windows or be a binman. then laughed. all meant as a bit of fun, banter.
    i forgot all about it untill his mum was asking when is he going to go out with his dad again. he said hes not anymore. he then mentioned what the binman said. his mam just laughed and said why didnt he answer back something like im getting more than you emptying other peoples rubbish, or something similar. but he must have took it seriously, as it was a loosers job window cleaning.
    i told him its all said in fun. so he now thinks everyone else thinks the same. as if your a looser doing window cleaning. he may change when he needs cash on hand.
    i told him live your life for yourself, never worry to what people may think about you.
    everyone wil have an oppinion about someone, be it good or bad.

i had a couple of customers tell me what a great job i was doing last week, thats rewarding enough for me.

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

If done badly, this is a mugs game.

If done well, this can be the best trade you can be in.

Done badly: Under charging, running around all over the place with no structure, doing a rubbish job of itand not working on a good rep.

Done well: Charging well/over the odds, structuring the day to get the most out of your time/petrol, doing a good job to build up a rep that leads to referrals.

A bricklayer can go to college for years, be considered an apprentice or improver for a few more years, and then eventually startto earn a decent wage- generally around £120-150 around here. Whereas if you build up a good round you can earn that easily doing trad in no time. WFP, even more.

Its a no brainer.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

people look at me and say cud i not get a better job and i say im no smart enough for a better job

4. mark

mark Forum Addict

I had a bill for my van it was £170.i told a custie about it.she turned around & said "that's a shame,i should imagine you have to work all month to get that back"there are so many misconceptions about window cleaning.[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. joe34

joe34 Well-Known Member

I was a tower crane driver for 10 years and when I've told people in the past that I left that to do window cleaning people think I was made to give up a job like that ,fact of the matter is I can earn just as much cleaning bird **** of Windows in 7,8 hours as could sitting up a crane for 12 hours a day that's with out travel too ,have alot more time to myself and more money.

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

My wife goes home for six weeks every year to spend time with the elderly parents, I have a few customers that comment on it as in 'oh well six weeks isn't that long' thinking she goes alone as window cleaners cant afford it.

Truth is she goes alone so I get six weeks fishing, poker nights and no one telling me how much I can drink! :p

We have the perfect understanding that it's a break for both of us and that is why we have a sound relationship as a window cleaner I can afford to send my wife away for six week vacations! :))

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Alien Human

How old is your son Jonny?

£6.30 p/h would be a dream to a 10 year old but if he is let's say 20 then he may question how much £ there is to be made within window cleaning.

8. johnny bravo

hes 17, kicked out of college, gets no money at all. only what we give him.
    so £25 for helping me out and learning was ok for him. i told him if he got better at it he could earn more .

9. CMRwindowcleaning

CMRwindowcleaning Active Member

People used to think this way when I first started. I really didn't give a toss. I'm probably the highest earner in my group of mates. I'm 25 so not that old have got a full time and a part time worker and support a family of 4 we all wear nice clothes eat put regularly and I have a decent car and new van.

10. CMRwindowcleaning

CMRwindowcleaning Active Member

And then the remarks stopped coming. The point is first they laugh then they copy!!!

Advertisement