Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The ultimate kit?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joshua D

So I've been window cleaning for 7 years using my grandads method that he thinks he perfected over 20 years he retired 5 years ago and I fancy a change. I buy everything new when it needs replacing but recently I've been having problems every turn I make with the squeegee leaves a mark. Replaced my rubbers cleaned everything bought new applicator covers and still the same problem.

What kit do you guys use?

What applicator cover do you use?

Soft or hard rubbers, ettore of unger?

What solutions do use and how much? Eg I use 50ml of morning fresh to 5 litres of water

Scrim or micro fibre? I love scrim by the way /emoticons/smile.png

Anything else I haven't mentioned?

Thanks all your help is welcome

The marks you are leaving, could be down to the soap, fairy liquid by any chance? If you're not using Ecover, then give it a go. If the marks are little lines, then there's a nick in the rubber.

Sounds like it could be the liquid I use morning fresh as I find fairy is to bubbley where can I get ecover from locally? I had a look in the hardware shops today and the supermarkets couldn't find anything

Thanks Josh

Sometimes when I replace my rubber on my squeegee (unger 30 degree with unger soft rubber) I get a line. When inspecting the end, there can be a little bit of rubber left, from when the cut was made. I either bite it off, or re-cut with a glass scraper. I use a good squirt of fairy, and scrims for windows, and microfiber sill cloths for frames.

Sounds reasonably similar to my set up /emoticons/smile.png going to try some different rubbers thou see which is best to preference. spent the day messing about today used some different stuff to see what makes it better for me, noticed some people use flash I found that helped glide the squeegee better across the windows /emoticons/smile.png

So I've been window cleaning for 7 years using my grandads method that he thinks he perfected over 20 years he retired 5 years ago and I fancy a change. I buy everything new when it needs replacing but recently I've been having problems every turn I make with the squeegee leaves a mark. Replaced my rubbers cleaned everything bought new applicator covers and still the same problem.What kit do you guys use?

What applicator cover do you use?

Soft or hard rubbers, ettore of unger?

What solutions do use and how much? Eg I use 50ml of morning fresh to 5 litres of water

Scrim or micro fibre? I love scrim by the way /emoticons/smile.png

Anything else I haven't mentioned?

Thanks all your help is welcome
hmm squeegees....they have a life of their own...i would swear someone breaks into my car and breaks them in the night....sometimes they last forever...sometimes just days.....you should see my boot ....full of bits and pieces....one day i swear i will sort it all out.....as for the lines....please don't forget the storm of the century which leaves marks any chance it gets.....i have told my customers sorry if there are any marks due to the storm gunge and they all understand....well you just cant see some of them....just wait till you do an in and out....in the full sun....or the barsteward sun as i call it at this time and autumn....and do remember...ask anyone....oh yes i used to be a window cleaner.....the greatest line of all.....me still slugging it out after thirty odd years...though i did have a rest for a while.....until the money ran out...

Sometimes when I replace my rubber on my squeegee (unger 30 degree with unger soft rubber) I get a line. When inspecting the end, there can be a little bit of rubber left, from when the cut was made. I either bite it off, or re-cut with a glass scraper. I use a good squirt of fairy, and scrims for windows, and microfiber sill cloths for frames.
yeh me do the bite it off method too....

ive found fairy works best for me personally especially with pure water, ive worked out not to put alot of soap in though and im fine.

as for rubbers pal, ive been using facelift red razrblade rubber and found it glides better and lasts longer, supposed to be a medium compound.

hmm squeegees....they have a life of their own...i would swear someone breaks into my car and breaks them in the night....sometimes they last forever...sometimes just days.....you should see my boot ....full of bits and pieces....one day i swear i will sort it all out.....as for the lines....please don't forget the storm of the century which leaves marks any chance it gets.....i have told my customers sorry if there are any marks due to the storm gunge and they all understand....well you just cant see some of them....just wait till you do an in and out....in the full sun....or the barsteward sun as i call it at this time and autumn....and do remember...ask anyone....oh yes i used to be a window cleaner.....the greatest line of all.....me still slugging it out after thirty odd years...though i did have a rest for a while.....until the money ran out...
Lmao I know that feeling I had one rubber last me months then the dreaded wooden windows with paint flaking off causes what I call a tram line (a knick) in the rubber and you think last time I came I was so careful lol.

Looks like I'm having a trip to sainsburys tomorrow then /emoticons/smile.png

until you sort your line problem why not straight pull with longer squeegee as will save ya time checking/fixing

find unger hard last long and can take a bit of abuse also cut down detailing

use ecover and good job

ettore porcupine is great for applicator just started using this

unger monsoon was my usual and still like it

scrim man myself

end of day its all personal choise and what works for you

Last edited by a moderator:
until you sort your line problem why not straight pull with longer squeegee as will save ya time checking/fixingfind unger hard last long and can take a bit of abuse also cut down detailing

use ecover and good job

ettore porcupine is great for applicator just started using this

unger monsoon was my usual and still like it

scrim man myself

end of day its all personal choise and what works for you
Yeah I like how you all use different materials, I always see window cleaning doing something slightly different from time to time I've thought I wonder if his method is better then mine. I've bought some ecover this morning off to work to try it out now /emoticons/smile.png

How much ecover do you lot use out of interest?
Wouldn't mind knowing myself I'm giving it a test tomorrow I used to just shove a bit of morning fresh in then add more if needed.

How did you get on with it Joshua?
I was pretty gutted to tell you the truth used it for half the day 5l of water I squirted a bit in the bucket didn't work to good but we had a frost so assumed the cold was playing me up lol. Best description I have is it left the water behind and took the suds away so I added a bit more ecover still the same added some flash still the same repeated the process having to wipe pretty much every piece of glass. In the end I poured the water away and decided to use morning fresh with flash which worked so much better with the flash in the bucket think I need to spend some time with ecover at home when I have some free time. Good day thou weather was brilliant in the end I was just in my polo shirt first warm day of the year /emoticons/smile.png after the frost.

Back