speed and water

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by chip, Jan 23, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. chip

chip Guru

some time back i did an experiment, even drew up an algebraic formula but can't find it.
    anyhow, i set the pump to a low flow and cleaned a window to my satisfaction and timed it and worked out the water usage. did the exact same experiment with a higher flow, and it worked out i cleaned the window faster and used less water! about 10% i think it was. obviously there's a few variables to consider, my opinion of satisfactorily rinsed might not be yours but that' basically irrelevant. what is relevant is how fast you can physically wash a window, a slow worker will waste water, a fast worker will waste time, and of coarse whether you turn off between windows, etc.
    still, i think there's a potential to increase speed and save water

Advertisement
  2. James

James Guru

This is very interesting Chip! I find If I set my pressue at around 15 & work quickly I normally will save water than if I say set the pressure at around 30-35. But I guess everyones different. I'd be interested to see this formula you have created!

James.

3. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Interesting

4. chip

chip Guru

what it boils down to, mainly, is the rinse. if you're like me if the waters coming out slow, you'll move the brush to and fro slowly and try to hit every bit of the window, if it's coming with a bit of force, you can be rinsed in no time and as the water is running down the window like a torrent, you have more confidence that it's all rinsed, if you get my drift.

5. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Yes totally. I actualy use fan jets for the reason as you can cover more area quiker.

6. james44

james44 Well-Known Member

Forget flow controllers! turn your pump up as high as it can go!

You will as you say chip will not use any more water as you can clean faster! trying to save water slows you down! (the higher the flow the faster you go!):)

7. James

James Guru

Screw pencil jets, fan jets are the way forward! Apparantly a friend of mine said there is no need for rinsing at the end of the clean as if your waters on 0ppm it will dry naturally.

My argument was the rinsing gets rid of any bits and pieces (dried cobwebs etc) and leaves a perfect finish. He says otherwise.

James.

8. chip

chip Guru

in theory i don't think it's usually nescessary- if the flows high enough you've got water rinsing while washing. in practice i'm in your camp james, have to rinse!
    exception being if it's to awkward to, in that case i wash the window and then run it across the top of the glass a couple of times.
    i don't have flow controller either james, can't see the point just alter the pump accordingly. think you need a by-pass though, not sure.

9. James

James Guru

Ahh right, I'm not too sure on the pump/flow controller. It just kinda came with the van already built in so I just got used to it. But yeah just altering the pump would be just as easy tbh.

James.

10. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

I have fan jets and always rinse, one thing you can do over pencils is rinse on the glass, this is very handy when doing windows at height.

Advertisement