Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spots!

JOL54

Help! Finding some windows clean beautifully but then on the same house some dry with water marks.
Some glass, water cascades down really well but the others seems to stick. Tried rinsing on and off.....

What am I doing wrong? I tend to have the pump down near minimum to economise on water, house with 15 average windows + french doors uses about half a 25ltr drum.

The water tester shows 0.01 which is the same as when I first started using the kit.

Sending me batty lol.
J

Last edited:
You probably aren't rinsing enough. Over the years my flow rate has increased. I'm quicker and only use a bit more water. I never have any problems anymore unless I screw up.

I used to run with much less water and made lots more mistakes

You also need to rinse extra when water dosnt curtain but beads on glass.

Another option is it could be comming of frame. Make sure you clean the frame first and rince the top. The brush and rinse the window.

Lastly if the window as small windows that open in it. Dirty water often will collect and drip down after you leave.

Pictures will also help as with them we could advise you more on if it's comming of the frame or the spotting is caused by something else

Thanks - its when it beads.

I have now cleaned a couple of troublesome ones 'trad' and going to see how they come up later today.
The frames/windows on this particular house are new by the way.

Will up the rinsing too.

John

Thanks - its when it beads.

I have now cleaned a couple of troublesome ones 'trad' and going to see how they come up later today.
The frames/windows on this particular house are new by the way.

Will up the rinsing too.

John
Yep sounds like it's definitely not rinsed enough. I ended up moving from pencels to fans because over half my windows bead.

The ones that bead are called hydrophobic and you need to take your time and rinse well as it won't sheet and help rinse away the debris. Fan jets are good on this type of glass but I never found the Gardiner backpack had enough flow to really power them.
When I started I used a 'backpack' (so 22litres) and some larger houses I would have to refill at least once, on a first clean I would probably use twice as much water!

I understand using a backpack is a pain to refill but having too little flow will slow you down big time and be harder to do a good job. I used to carry 150 litres in the car when I started but always used to worry about running out so I had more pure ready at home in case I needed to nip back and refill.

Help! Finding some windows clean beautifully but then on the same house some dry with water marks.
Some glass, water cascades down really well but the others seems to stick. Tried rinsing on and off.....

What am I doing wrong? I tend to have the pump down near minimum to economise on water, house with 15 average windows + french doors uses about half a 25ltr drum.

The water tester shows 0.01 which is the same as when I first started using the kit.

Sending me batty lol.
J
Sounds like you’re describing hydrophobic glass (worst type), never sheets when you rinse off. You will definitely need to up your flow to ensure a decent rinse off. I was having the same issue as I am using 25lt barrels too and was trying to save water by having a low flow rate also - not the solution. Won’t be your water that’s for sure.

Many thanks for help/tips. Upped the flow rate and it was much improved - more practice needed and less concern about water usage!!!

Hydrophobic glass, is there any cure? I tried a Nilglass cleaner with scrim on one window and it seemed a little better afterwards or does it get better after each clean?

Oh, and dont forget to try and close windows before scrubbing the top frame...................................................ooops :)

On some houses every window is hydrophobic on others it's just the odd one. I think it's something that is caused in manufacturing but I have no idea if it's intended or not.

Yep I took me a good couple of years to realise I actually use the same ammount of water or maybe even less with a higher flow. I was trying to preserve my water with a low flow rate and rinsing windows 3 or 4 times. Increased the flow and one rinse is normally enough. Quicker and better results.

Ultimately, if you want to make serious money, you need a set up where water usage isn’t an issue.
You need it fizzing off the glass.
With a high flow rate you’ll be rinsing at the same time as your scrubbing, youll hardly need to do a separate rinse. you’ll save loads of time, you’ll do twice as much and you’ll have plenty of money to get your water.

Ultimately, if you want to make serious money, you need a set up where water usage isn’t an issue.
You need it fizzing off the glass.
With a high flow rate you’ll be rinsing at the same time as your scrubbing, youll hardly need to do a separate rinse. you’ll save loads of time, you’ll do twice as much and you’ll have plenty of money to get your water.
I don’t bother with my controller anymore usually
Just full flow and 100 degree fans and scrub
Rarely do I need to rinse separately and don’t even notice if glass is phobic or not as the water pours down it
Don’t use much more water either

Thanks again. Have a RO set up but as we are in a very hard water area I use 100ltr to get 25ltr and on a water meter..............
Finding all you've said very true, higher flow = better and bit quicker cleans.

Thanks again. Have a RO set up but as we are in a very hard water area I use 100ltr to get 25ltr and on a water meter..............
Finding all you've said very true, higher flow = better and bit quicker cleans.
You do realise that even using 100 litres per 25 l of pure probably only costs you 60p per barrel?
Why are you running 80% waste 20% pure? That seems a very high ratio, is your water very hard or do you have low water pressure?

I don't know your setup but there are a few things you can do to save water. First off is a univalve or tap to switch off water when raising/lowering pole or moving between windows. The other is if you are using a tap you could have a restricted flow when scrubbing then fully open tap to rinse. If you are using a backpack you can fit a 12v wireless remote to hand round you neck to switch the pump on and off - that helped me.

Water pressure is around 50psi and yes we are in a hard water area. Do have remote switch on the pole too. You are right - about 48p/25ltr drum so I should not be so tight!!

I live in an area which is 340ppm to 400ppm depending on the day and only have my ro on 50/50
Just flush it religiously and no problems

Tap is 310 ppm ish and the RO is currently 9.8ppm. Is that ok?
I have a 350 input and 6 output.my.membrians are 3 months old.

What you can work with varies between people and opinions.
Some people say 1 or 2. Others work up to 7 or 10. Basicly clean your windows and check them afterwords.
If they are fine you are all good.

Back