Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spotting on old wood frame windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I

Ian Bedborough

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help!

I'm quite new to window cleaning and have been cleaning the same shop window every two weeks for the last six weeks.

This morning I cleaned in the same way as usual but it has left spotting!

The glass is old and single glazed and the window frames are wood.

Can anybody suggest what I have done wrong?

I use a wfp system and the resin was replaced about 1000 litres ago.

Any advice would be appreciated

Ian

I do a Residential Home that has wooden windows about every 8 years they have the window frames re-varnished they wait until they are in a pretty bad way until they get it done it takes us ages to get the frames clean it's by trees and there are Cobwebs and dust all over them. They painted them a few Months ago and now we are taking almost an hour less to do the job as the dirt slides off the gloss so it's not so much about what you are doing wrong it's what they are doing wrong by not looking after them? When paint is worn on wood you are flogging a dead horse.

I'm water fed pole and if any residential or normal commercial want trad outside they can get another window cleaner. All my shop windows at ground level are done trad I find its a lot quicker than running a hose over or along a path and no **** from frames. Also I'm from a coastal town so normally a lot of people around and lot of traffic along the sea road's so the frames get crappy il give em a wipe with a damp cloth if I water fed em the **** runs off them for ages.

The vast majority of my clients (approx 90%) have wooden windows- sliding sashes because it's in a Victorian conservation area.

I've been tradding for 25 years but I think i will be moving over to WFP hopefully soon.

Are you saying that with wooden windows, WFP isn't as good?

The vast majority of my clients (approx 90%) have wooden windows- sliding sashes because it's in a Victorian conservation area.I've been tradding for 25 years but I think i will be moving over to WFP hopefully soon.

I've only been doing this since January but this is the first time I've had an issue. The wood is pretty old and the paint is flaking so I guess they would be a problem for the traditional methods too.

The vast majority of my clients (approx 90%) have wooden windows- sliding sashes because it's in a Victorian conservation area.I've been tradding for 25 years but I think i will be moving over to WFP hopefully soon.

It's just a liability, I've seen me do it on bad frames and they've turned out OK and vice versa

I'm water fed pole and if any residential or normal commercial want trad outside they can get another window cleaner. All my shop windows at ground level are done trad I find its a lot quicker than running a hose over or along a path and no **** from frames. Also I'm from a coastal town so normally a lot of people around and lot of traffic along the sea road's so the frames get crappy il give em a wipe with a damp cloth if I water fed em the **** runs off them for ages.
Thanks for the reply, I live in Torbay so get the sea salt and rubbish as well, might try traditional method then.

Thanks for the reply, I live in Torbay so get the sea salt and rubbish as well, might try traditional method then.

Just trad em mate , you get to know the problem Windows and frames , just bang off with the squeegee and get the good stuff with the pole .

All the best .

Glenn .

I do quite alot of old wooden frame houses, don't get any complaints. But one time was cleaning a house that hadn't been done in a long time. I had cleaned outsides n was doing insides, great big water streaks down one window, think the water had gone inside the wood n dribbled out a hole back onto glass bringing the dirt with it. I just cleaned the problem part again n ran. Was not going to trad, as very high n tall windows, not interested in work that gives much hassle though.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I got a few with old untreated wood frames. I just dry brush frames to remove cobwebs then clean glass only. Couple I do trad as it's easier. If you explain any potential issues to the customer first, you should have no problems.

Back