Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Another haggler comes unstuck...

TolishAPurd

In the style of cnc...

Me got a call 2 nights back... that :ninja: accent...oh no here we go. So he wants pressure washing doing for his driveway. Me already does that street when I'm not on the sofa so I know the style of house. "Drivevay and vindows" he says. So I gave him a price, if anything it was cheap but it should be straightforward so I thought.

Haggle, haggle, haggle....10 mins later....

He tells me he already has a pressure washer, but he doesn't have the right connection for it, ok no problem I should have everything me needs.

So I got to the house this morning and low and behold :ninja: woman, fella is at work. She seemed nice, all smiles etc, so I thought this should be ok.

As she shows me the area needing doing, I am scanning the area for a tap.....

...."wheres the tap?"

"Oh, ve dont have a tap".

"Eh?" So the 'connection that your husband didnt have....WAS THE FCKING TAP ITSELF!!!!!!

"Did your husband not think it pertinant to mention that you don't have an outside tap?"

.....by this point me was not happy, me likes to be on the sofa about now with a beer.

SO I am half way through the driveway and here she comes:ninja:. "Oh, you are going to do the patio arent you"?

....so predictable it was a joke.

"No, I said to your husband is was specifically just the driveway".

:ninja:"And vindows?"

"Yes and windows" ....."if you would like the patio doing it'll be another £30.".

:ninja:Oh no, thats too much.

"I'm really sorry but I gave a very cheap price to your husband and I'm afraid I have to add more if there is more work to do".

:ninja:"Ok I talk to my husband, you carry on."

Hmmmmm, suspicious now. So me stops and waits to see what is said as I don't want to move my pressure washer, just to move it back again.

:ninja:"Yes ok, thats fine".

"Great". So I start doing the patio and about 3 quarters of the waythrough she comes out wavingher arms saying, "No, I said I didnt want it done".

:rolleyes: ...surprise surprise.

So I drew a giant Z in the patio before telling he I was leaving, and started packing up my stuff.

Her driveway was half way done, her patio had a giant Z in it, and I was off!

The shock on her face was a picture.:laugh:

She started pleading so I insisted that I'm not doing another ounce of work until I get the money upfront as I didnt believe they were going to pay.

SO an argument ensued, all a bit public but I was not backing down on this. I had her husband on the phone telling me he is not a cheat/liar..... but the best thing about it all....

Is that I have recorded most of it on my phone, just in case there is ever a dispute of any sort. Got the idea from @boarcity the other night and it worked a treat. Me and the mrs have already watched it back and had a chuckle. No swearing or shouting, just calm and collected.

A lot more to the story,but its one for the pub as its a bit much to type. Long story short. Finished job. Got paid. Drove home smiling. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Couldn't face reading it,

But I'll just say - 'nice post' anyway /emoticons/biggrin.png

Love it :rofl:
One up for the workers mate.

Brilliant. Well done.I think I'd have lost my temper.

No time for :ninja:
When she pulled the stunt on the patio Iwas fuming,and did the Z rightin front of her, thinkI even got her wet too.:laugh:

Its the worst argument I've had since I've been in business. Was great to record it though as she could accuse me of all sorts.. Its very obvious in the vid whats goingg on, I'll show it to you some time- she had no idea she was being recorded.

(not that kind of wet ya dirty b'stardos)

And I purposely left the front of the drive until the end so I could write 'Non Payer' for all her well to do neighbours to see. Should be quite embarassing for her if it came to that.:thumbsup:

glad to hear you won the bout
The problem is in this line of work, that it doesnt take long before you have heard it all before.

1) "Thats included too isnt it"?

2) "You're going to do the insides as well arent you"?

3) "Oh, I didnt mean that, itwas just the language barrier and you are mistaken".

4) "But you said 120 not 150".

She pulled two of the above before I flipped.

i caused a bit of a stink on facebook recently when i wrote "wogs never apologize" "they actually respect a bloomin good hiding"

but i bleve it to be true!

somebody pointed out the term wogs offensive, but i replied calling them ethnic isnt the real world. was told the correct term now is "dual heritage"

Last edited:
How did you manage to clean it with no tap TAP?

A customer of mine is a fitted kitchen salesman. He has different prices for different types of customer. He calls the one price structure 'Pak Tax' :confused:

How did you manage to clean it with no tap TAP?
A customer of mine is a fitted kitchen salesman. He has different prices for different types of customer. He calls the one price structure 'Pak Tax' :confused:
I asked her if she was friendly with her neighbours and she said no, theres a surprise lol. SO I reached into my little box of adapters and I had a few kitchen tap adapters, and luckily one of them fitted and allowed me to run a hose out of the kitchen window. I bought the adapters knowing they would get me out of the **** one day, and it did. The one I used still had the tags on as I had never had someone so stupid that they would call me for a pressure washing job when they don't have an outside tap. I even asked her if she thought I would turn up with a bowser, just got a blank look from that./emoticons/biggrin.png

Great post :thumbsup:. I personally never deal with :ninja:s especially after the load :turd: was given too me because it didnt went after their head as usual.

The Southdowns village I clean in doesn't have any hagglers although the town I live in just up the road must have at least two dozen seeing we've got three restaurants and one takeaway....can't say I've ever had any aggro with them personally although it's always me giving them cash for their curries rather than trying to get cash off them for my cleaning....my brother, on the other hand, is a tree surgeon living in Epping....a lot of his work is in East London and every time I see him he has tales of grief from working for this ethnic group....his company policy quickly became 'payment in advance' for these customers, I can't really criticise him, he is far more successful financially than me and I know he wouldn't operate like this if he knew it was losing him customers and money.

The Southdowns village I clean in doesn't have any hagglers although the town I live in just up the road must have at least two dozen seeing we've got three restaurants and one takeaway....can't say I've ever had any aggro with them personally although it's always me giving them cash for their curries rather than trying to get cash off them for my cleaning....my brother, on the other hand, is a tree surgeon living in Epping....a lot of his work is in East London and every time I see him he has tales of grief from working for this ethnic group....his company policy quickly became 'payment in advance' for these customers, I can't really criticise him, he is far more successful financially than me and I know he wouldn't operate like this if he knew it was losing him customers and money.
My company policy has now changed too. As soon as I hear the word "vindows", -Sorry, I am fully booked. Its absolutely soul destroying when you get tied into a job and you are working the whole time wondering if you are going to get paid. And the clues are that they keep walking out and hassling you for things, or complaining.

I've just had a thought. Although there are loads around here, I have only actually worked for 4. Only 1 out of that 4 went without a hitch, he was a doctor. 2 have totally ripped me off, and this one tried to rip me off. True brits that have ripped me off, of which I have worked for thousands.....drumroll.....zero.

was sayin to my lads the other week-you never see a white guy go take up with an injun lady and her extended family . itd likely be really funny to observe it if he did. if a film producers reading this you could make a documentary on it

docker pete takes on calcutta charlie

was sayin to my lads the other week-you never see a white guy go take up with an injun lady and her extended family . itd likely be really funny to observe it if he did. if a film producers reading this you could make a documentary on it
docker pete takes on calcutta charlie
It does happen, but very often it ends up with the woman murdered or dissfigured by her own familly for bringing them shame. But the papers try not to make a big deal about that in case it offends.

No racism from me but the truth is we have all had our hands bitten by the hagglers and why should we put up with it

I personally don't work for them

I have a few seiks who I work for with no problems

Back