Squeegee advice please

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by S.W. Window Cleaning, Oct 16, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. S.W. Window Cleaning

S.W. Window Cleaning Active Member

Hi,
    I got my starter pack from Wintecs and I have been watching demos on you tube. I have tried pulling the squeegee like a rainbow effect but its not that easy. I was wondering if you just pull the squeegee down the window would that not be as effective? If there is a reason to do it the other way I will keep on practising.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

Some peopledo straight pulls, and some go across, but personally I think fanning and similar methods is better as its quicker, and when you have to do it in front of a customer, it always impresses them if you can do it quickly. You'll get it with plenty of practice I promise. Once you get the basic tecnique, then start to use it on customers houses, and you'll get better naturally over time.

3. Natty1972

Natty1972 Forum Addict

When I first started shining many moons ago I did across . Then I tried fanning . I just couldn't do it .... Practice practice practice
    Start on custies frosted glass till you get the hang of it then impress them with your new skill. ,,, you will pick it up. Practice

Fanning is much quicker good luck bud

4. Posh

Posh Hero

It's takes time to learn it. I used to pull across if the customer was there. If they wern't I'd try fanning & kept going till I got it right. To many people worry about speed. It comes in time. Customer won't care as long as there windows are clean but as said fanning is quicker. Patience

Tolish is right tho. Fanning does impress them but so does clean no smear windows

5. TolishAPurd

Yep, I'm only mentioning speed as part of the package, and the end result of a lot of practice- but ultimately clean windows is what its all about.

6. S.W. Window Cleaning

S.W. Window Cleaning Active Member

Im mainly wfp but I want to do insides as well. I`ve got an 8" Mop and a 6" squeegee to do that. Also I have 12" for outsides if required. Thanks for your help guys
    Steve :)

7. TolishAPurd

The real fun comes when you are double handing, i.e applying and squeegeeing at the same time. I've been working on this for a while just like posh described- I'll use the bigger windows on the houses where people are never in, and practice there. If anything I find it keeps boredom at bay.

8. norm

norm Grand Master

hey Steve i started off straight pulls and eventually changed to fanning
    as the guys say practice and it gets easier
    as long as windows clean custy will be happy
    it will come good :thumbsup:

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

If you use the right size squeegee just over half the width of the window or mode you can do like me
    Start about a 3rd the way up on the left and go up,across,down then across to the left and close out on the left frame
    Very quick and easy to pick up
    But some are to big and need fanning
    I have several sizes on my belt

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Tolish i can do both hands
    Applicate with one squeegee with the other
    Looks good doing a conny 2 windows at a time but they have to be identical size or it don't work as i mirror my squeegee hand with the applicator hand
    Only way i can do it

Advertisement