Squeegee help

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Scottie, Dec 8, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Scottie

Scottie Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Well, I have been practicing and cleaning windows and my cleaning is getting better. I am not over confident at fanning the window or methods like chopping down the mountain.

I do pulls across and down, but I still get little lines on the window, I cleaned my rubber and the rubbers are new, only cleaned about 40 windows on them and other one about 20. since changing. If i pull across I get multipul lines sometimes or like scuff marks, its really annoying me now. Also the sies of windows have lots water left, the unger channel i have and unger rubber in it seems weak at the ends and does nto cleaner water away well on tops and sides, I think I maye have to shorten the rubber length out of each end its about a cm odd.

I dont no if its the amount of soap water i use, I am getting a decent soap but not too much. I have to detail alot and use so many unger and ninja micro cloths.

Any advice, is my rubber **** or is it just a matter of getting the right distance and style. Some windows are great, just these bloody lines. I have looked on line but wondered if anyone had advice and also any really good vids links.

Thank you very much.

Advertisement
  2. norm

norm Grand Master

if you cut your own rubber if it isnt cut clean straight can cause lines
    try leaning lighter on ya squeegee and see if that improves things
    try slightly less soap, flipping rubber around and changing slightly what your doing and you will come good
    as boar said could be bad rubber or rubber not clean can cause lines as well

3. mark

mark Forum Addict

have you tried dog earing your squeegee,this may help you,or try some end clips 2 secure your rubber.ive ordered rubber and you still get duff ones in the pack,try ettoree rubbers they are very good,like boarcity said,store them in a secure place so they don't get damaged

4. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

Just keep practising mate. I've only been going for a month or so but I've got the hang of fanning. I'm not the fastest but I just keep plodding along and I'm already noticing how much faster I am now compared to a month ago. I only do horizontal straight pulls on really small windows.

5. Posh

Posh Hero

#5 Posh, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    A cm is to much overhang. Cut it down to about 2-3 mil either end. When I first started I used to pull down but I wouldn't soap right at the top of the window. I left 2-3 mil at the top dry. If I did hit the top of the window I ran my scrim along it to dry it off before I pulled down.

Another thing to try is try tilting the squeegee a touch. So if your pulling down lower it a touch on the right side as you look at it. Same if yer pulling across. That way your pulling the water in to the squeegee rather then outside it.

Another way is soap the window then get yer squeegee & with it dead straight put it at top left hand side of window. Slightly lower left side & go along top of window. When at the end do your pull down. Repeat till you've done the whole window. The last pull down obviously will just be a straight pull but all the water should have gone. Hope this all makes sense.

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

What rubber you using?
    You need the rubber only long enough to stop the actual channel touching the frame..about 1mm in my case
    If the rubber is leaving lines play around with the angle you hold the handle at and also try running the rubber edge between finger and thumb to remove any cack that may be on it

7. windowsurfer

windowsurfer Forum Addict

Ungers video is quite helpful

8. cheapncheerful

if you are leaving marks make sure you totally dry the rubber each time it leaves the glass.....and don't worry I have been on the windows for forty years and some days I just cant clean blade for toffee....other days...easy peasy...

just wait till we have another storm of slime scottie.....youll love that...:D

9. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

I agree with most on here, and I would add that you can't have too much soap, but you can have too much water

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. cheapncheerful

agree with you there after today rugbywolf..

.I have an automatic habit of topping up my applicator if I see some fairy whilst waiting for the bucket to fill but....er...sometimes.....my applicator doesnt need it...cleaning the window was no probs...but wiping the bloomin soap suds from the sill not so good especially as I haven't got my two bin bags of old dry scrims as the wife has them.....waiting in the queue to be washed...still we did have sleet showers so as I sent the suds down to the ground it didn't get noticed..

Advertisement