Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Squeegee + Rubber recommendations please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

xellos99

Sorry if this has been done to death but I have found myself working for a window cleaner on a residential round and wanted to ask for advice.

It is 100% traditional with ladder, squeegee and scrim and it is very fast paced I would say.

Im using unger ergotech and s-channels which I have today modified with "dog-ears" I seen people do on youtube and ordered the s-channel pro.

The idea being to keep the scrim dryer and only need a very quick swipe and go.

Im sure most of you guys has used most products going so wanted to ask for recommendations of traditional squeegee`s, rubbers, channels.

Some of them are very expensive and I don't fancy wasting a lot of cash to find out what is no good........

I tried the moerman liquidators and excelerators and despite trying every tip modification and technique I could never get reliable results no matter how much I persevered with it.

I like the wagtail slimline flipper, saves a bit of time swapping between tools, and is surprisingly useful for reaching a few extra inches or used on a hand pole to save using a point ladder or steps. But the pads don’t hold much water so need dipping often or to be used with a detergent bottle, and your soap mix needs to be right or you end up with suds every where when you are trying to blade off a window.

I think keeping it simple is best, so I stick to the dog-eared unger stuff with a wagtail for occasional pole work.

I use liquidators, alot don't get on with them and I still do sometimes but understand its something I'm doing as alot can use really well with no problems, they are miles quicker if done correctly, I'm using spotless yellow rubber atm and would recommend it. I'd suggest carrying washing up liquid with you in a separate bottle from water to keep it soapy, thick microfibre clothes for sills and frames and the finer ones for any detailing or leaded windows etc 

I use moerman liquidators (with normal Unger handles) and razr red rubber on the few trad bungalows that I do. The Moermans do take a bit of getting used to, but are great at reducing detailing, although they don’t eliminate the need for it altogether. The razr rubbers are great and last for ages. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I use moerman liquidators (with normal Unger handles) and razr red rubber on the few trad bungalows that I do. The Moermans do take a bit of getting used to, but are great at reducing detailing, although they don’t eliminate the need for it altogether. The razr rubbers are great and last for ages. 
I use Moermans too with their normal handle usually. Modded the channels with Unger clips,and  as Rickadoo says, does not eliminate detailing completely, but cuts it down and scrims stay drier longer. Have Unger squeegee too as a back up and when testing rubbers at home prior to work like using that one too.

Also started using cotton dish cloth for wiping soap residue from sills, better than using microfibre, so now microfibre for polishing as necessary, and scrim for most detailing.

Ettore ProPlus Super Brass Squeegee, I like this because it is easy to offset for a little extra reach, and easy to use at an angle on the end of a pole, fixed squeegees are useless for this. Comfortable to use for long periods of time and low stress on wrist especially when used with a 16" or less channel.
I think Ettore soft rubber blades are still the best, Unger soft a close second.
Titan Glass Gleam 4 for hard water or 3 for soft water. Use at 10ml/5 litres which is 3-4 times recommended concentration or squeegee drag is too high. Very low foam, wets well and stays wet on a hot day and doesn't bleed back in from edges. At this concentration you may need to wear a nitrile glove. Detailing is usually just top edge.

The zero degree unger ergotec with s channel pro is a useful tool when used on a pole for reaching widows that you can't get an angle on also for undersides of conservatory roofs.

Liquidators with black diamond rubber. I found they were a nightmare to get used to, but once youve got the technique right your laughing, when tradding (getting less and less often) my scrim may come out once or twice a day. 

Liquidators with black diamond rubber. I found they were a nightmare to get used to, but once youve got the technique right your laughing, when tradding (getting less and less often) my scrim may come out once or twice a day. 
Sometimes I get it just right others not, how do you get it right using the liquidator? I think my problem is because its so tight the rubber gets all wavy and that's where I struggle 

Sometimes I get it just right others not, how do you get it right using the liquidator? I think my problem is because its so tight the rubber gets all wavy and that's where I struggle 
 Been using liquidators for some 3 years. When first got the Moerman rubbers at that time were not very good, so used Razr red from recomendations on this forum plus Unger end clips. Recently started using Unger soft to check out in case I get some Razr red from a poor batch(as also mentioned on forum) and been highly impressed though not as hard wearing.

Use washing up liquid as a lubricant when fitting rubber into the channel to prevent the waviness. Also use end clips, and I recommend you use soft rubber and plenty of soap (check Trad-man and Polz n blades youtube videos).

This is a good idea. I bought a 18" Liquidator channel and cut it down to around 16" and stuck a contour pro plus handle on it. I used it this week and by pure chance it fits an opening window glass unit exactly. All I do is pull the blade straight down and dry each side, job done. I try not to touch the top of the frame when mopping because it means I don't need to dry it with my cloth but I always dry the sills even when I'm using my wfp on conservatories.

Back