Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My New Business Shopping List

S

stonesthrow

So after weeks of reading and research I'm finally going to order my equipment this week and start my business. I just wanted to post up what I'm planning to buy and check with you guys that I've not forgotten anything, made any bad choices or paying over the odds for anything. So opinions would be much appreciated!

Youngman DIY 2 Section Extn Ladder - Closed 3.37m - £72

Ladder spikes - £8

Ladder mitts - £18

Unger Ergotec T-Bar 14" - £4.15

Unger Monsoon sleeve 14" - £8,22

Unger Ergotec Squeegee - £8.46

Unger S Channel 12" - £3.24

12" Pulex Soft Rubber x20 - £22.80

Unger Maxi Scraper - £5.10

Unger The Belt belt - £13.74

Unger Bucket on a Belt - £14.46

Unger Sprayer on a Belt - £12.78

Unger ergo pouch - £11.76

Paragon Premium Glass Cloth microfibre x10 - £13.80

Harris 5m pole - £15

Ecover - £2.20

Viro-sol - £5.25

Embroided polo shirt

Business cards

Yup looks good, get a couple of different size channels as well. Try Unger soft as well I had some pulex not long ago and don't like it (although some prefer it).

Yup looks good, get a couple of different size channels as well. Try Unger soft as well I had some pulex not long ago and don't like it (although some prefer it).
Been going back and forth between Pulex and Unger, everyone either loves or hates them lol. Guess I need to try both.

You dont need ladder spikes they are a waste of time and money !,
I was going to buy a Rojak Ladder Stopper but was told on another forum that they were useless if it was wet and ladder spikes are much better and grip to anything?

You can get the belt for a fiver off eBay too .
Thanks for the tip.

maybe a couple of scrims? are you planning on using a bucket? or just the sprayer on a belt? check ebay for all the items, im sure there is ladder mits cheaper

But not trade quality. If there was a great price difference in ladders I would understand a little, but when there is hardly any price difference between Diy (occasional use strength) and trade (everyday use strength) why go for the cheaper option tho?

maybe a couple of scrims? are you planning on using a bucket? or just the sprayer on a belt? check ebay for all the items, im sure there is ladder mits cheaper
Just planning on using the sprayer as I'll be walking my round and want as little as possible to carry round. Will i need scrims if i've got a load of microfibres?

But not trade quality. If there was a great price difference in ladders I would understand a little, but when there is hardly any price difference between Diy (occasional use strength) and trade (everyday use strength) why go for the cheaper option tho?
I understand what you're saying, and it's the smarter option. However i've seen a lot of people use these ladders and say they're really good. I'll probably start to feel those extra 3kgs after lugging it around all day.

I understand what you're saying, and it's the smarter option. However i've seen a lot of people use these ladders and say they're really good. I'll probably start to feel those extra 3kgs after lugging it around all day.
yer lots of people do use the trade ladders due to there cheapness and lightness, they are only light because they use a low grade aluminum that isnt designed to be used in a daily way. plus if anything to happen accident wise and they find out that only diy class ladders are being used for a trade job, then it could cause problems with insurances etc.

Class 3 Domestic Ladders

Produced purely for the DIY home maintenance market, these are the lightest and weakest ladders you can buy and are intended for very occasional use at home and are not allowed to be used in the workplace. Using them in a commercial or work enviroment contravenes Health & Safety regulations. Insurance companies often state that using domestic ladders or steps for commercial work will invalidate claims for personal injury. They have a duty rating of 95kg or 15 stones. These ladders are produced from very thin aluminium and designed to be light weight and economical.

EN131 Trade Ladders

This classification is produced from a stonger guage of aluminium to withstand everyday usage by a tradesman or regular home user. EN131 is the European wide standard for aluminium ladders and this classification represents the most popular grade of aluminium ladders currently available. They have a maximum load rating of 150kg or 23.5 stones and are suitable for use at home or in the workplace.

Class 1 Industrial Ladders

The heaviest ladders are known as Class 1 and represent the finest quality and strength that money can buy. Usually reserved for heavy industrial work, Class 1 ladders and steps are designed and built for heavy site work or industrial applications. They are available in a much larger range of sizes than the other two classifications as well as with the option of rope operation. Suitable for use everywhere; home, workplace, factory or building site, they have a maximum load rating of 175kg or 27.5 stones.

Just planning on using the sprayer as I'll be walking my round and want as little as possible to carry round. Will i need scrims if i've got a load of microfibres?
Iv never used microfibres but swear by the scrim! Suppose it would be down to personal preference but scrims do work very well. Maybe you should get a few app sleeves as I'm sure they will get dirty quite quickly. I also have never used a sprayer, I reckon it would add more time and effort than dipping into a bucket.

Also get a few face cloths for wiping up the sills, or the micros from £1land are good too

Yep, scrims are for detailing, microfibers hold to much water for that, great for sill, frames and front door stuff.

Okay so get some scrims for detailing and some cheap microfibres for cleaning frames and sills? Where's the cheapest place to get good quality scrim?

Latest Posts

Back