Stained windows!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by SafeReach, Jun 9, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. SafeReach

SafeReach Guest

Hi all.
    New to window cleaning this year and have come across two or three windows with what looks like calcium streaks and blobs on them.
    Have tried wfp and trad on them. Also a green washing up scrubber with no joy. You can feel the if you run you finger over the window too.
    I'm sure you guys will have come across it before but can you get it off or is it stained forever on the window? Have not seen
    It on new'ish windows is it an age thing?
    Any help would be appreciated.

At the mo I'm just saying I've tried my best to remove them but they ain't shifting.
    Cheers

Advertisement
  2. nearlyclean

Supplier

0000 grade wire wool and spray with water.But be very careful you can get chemicals that can help shift limescale

3. I see it on older windows so can only assume that water sits in the tiny scratches and builds up. Assume you live in a hrd water area like me - dan sarf (that's down South to all you northerners):huh::):huh:

4. SafeReach

SafeReach Guest

Nearlyclean:
    Nice one, will try the wool and limescale remover and will let you know how I get on.
    Cheers
    Window washer:
    Hard as nails! Oxfordshire water.
    Cheers

5. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

I use Sorbo hard water stain remover powder - from cleaning spot, under the traditional section - listed with cleaning liquids.

Sorted out some stains that viakal didn't touch.

never tried wire wool though - just ordered some bronze wool, as I think it may be less likely to scratch

http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Unger_and_Ettore_liquid_and_soap.html

dave

6. roxana

roxana Guest

i have a question - doesn't these contain chemicals?

7. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Yes - but you will need something to shift it.

Apply stain remover by hand, and then rinse well with pole before cleaning.

8. kars

kars Guest

Ive noticed on newer windows sometimes you get like water stains and they dont come of.. Almost as if the water has ran down the window and the sun has baked it on????

9. nearlyclean

Supplier

I think some have cleaned their windows with a hose and tap water do this for a while and you get a build up of limescale and metal gutters leaking onto a window causes metal deposits .Once the window starts to go it is differcult to bring back.Glass restoration is time consuming and specialized job and should be charged accordingly I use several processes depending on how servere the damage is.

10. greenclean

greenclean Guest

you guys want to try cleaning the glass doors in showers. that's some hard limescale to remove makes cleaning windows seems like a girls job :D

Advertisement