Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting a Soft Washing Biz - Help/Advice needed!

Captain Peacock

I've lost my job, it was contract work, and as I'm getting on in me years just turned 50, employers are getting fussy about hiring when you hit this age, i know cos my previous job (the 1 before last contract) went to a younger guy.

Anyway, been wanting to get into some sort of cleaning biz, and not keen on doing windows, having looked over on youtube, i like the idea of soft washing drives/patios etc.

Just a couple of questions:

1/ What do customers say/ask about the chems that you use? I will be using Sodium Hypochorite. Any real concerns about this product?

2/ Do you guys use your own water tank, or can you rely on the customers water supply/outside tap?

Thanks for any help in advance, Much Appreciated./emoticons/wink.png

First thing you need to know is that you cant (for commercial) gain just spray chemicals willy nilly.

There is very grey areas between HSE - C&G and other governing bodies to what form of regulation exists to control this.

There is a facebook group working on getting black and white answers from the government and other bodies at present but we are still a couple of weeks away from positive information.

I would suggest patience for another month or two if you can wait it out so you knoe how to be fully compliant with the laws and regs.

Softwash is however not a one stop solution, it does not suit every job about. Tarmac for example is one where hypo use needs to be so precise otherwise you will ruin the tarmac. I do a lot of powerwsshing now and find that to truly handle all days well both the powerwasher and softwash tricks are required.

Cans of worms but were sorting through it.

The only question in relation to going self employed at 50 is what took you so long?

@Green Pro Clean Ltd

Thanks for the response.

re: The only question in relation to going self employed at 50 is what took you so long?

My trade is engineering - working the contract game is similar to 'self employed' as used to do it via a LTD or umbrella company, i have done work on a 'self employed' basis in my younger days, (painting&decorating) however when contracts would come up, would move on, also stayed abroad part of the year (winter) for 15 years running. so building up a biz would of been a waste of time back then.

I don't plan on starting this until end-march, will spent the time now getting website up, and flyers designed/written.

I only plan on doing domestic house hold drives, to start.

In regards to power washing, from what I've read - doesn't it ruin/partly destroy the patio brick work?

Back