Starting out advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Hayden, May 17, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Hayden

Hayden Member

Good morning/afternoon

I posted here several months ago about starting window cleaning but it just wasn't the right time for me but now I'm ready and all my distractions are no longer distractions. lol

So I'm just after some advice on how too start window cleaning, I currently work 50/50 with my brother doing fencing but long story short its not for me and I want to create my own business and work for myself so I can feel that I've achieved something.. I'm very hard working and don't mind putting the hours in.

I don't want too be jobless so I plan on doing window cleaning on Sundays too start then Saturdays and if im luckily enough to be that busy I can make it my primary job and focus all my time on to it..

I already have a small vauxhall combo van with a set of youngman ladders lol

Hayden

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

youngmans is a good sign -the classic start. when are you starting? dont delay is my tip -maybe you are doorknocking this arvo... good on yer if this is so

3. Natty1972

Natty1972 Forum Addict

A sign written van . Maybe advertise both your lines of work on it ......Worked for me .. Good luck

4. cheapncheerful

you just wanted us to say welcome to the forum a second time:rofl:

hi and welcome to the forum...

you are going about it the right way...dont just jump in at the deep end start in the paddling pool and learn to swim..

it just builds itself most of the time windowcleaning as if you get that first job and because your not remotely in a rush do a great job...the word spreads..

too many focus on the money side and rush..

dont forget...make a mess and the word still spreads..

I have one on tuesday big bungalow in and out plus a block of flats plus ...the promise of maybe some offices..all because..

somebody passed on my name...

dont forget the forum moto...

KEEP US INFORMED...

me needs to hear how people are starting out to stop me being complacent and taking it all for granted....just because I am fully booked up next week and expecting more trying to get me on monday morning...

well okay...I have a cunning plan...

I WILL TRY AND CUT MY MORNING SLEEP OUT....try being the operative word..

wifey starts at six so I am awake but...before I can finish my cuppa tea...im gone for an hour...so I plan to dump the tea and go to my kick ass coffee...

but then again...maybe not..but a nine oclock start would be a nice change from er..11 ish...part timer that I am..:D

5. Alien Human

#5 Alien Human, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Can only speak from my own experience but fear, uncertainty and a lack of belief & trust that all will be well......have most commonly been my barriers.

In reality there has never actually been anything preventing me from achieving any goals that I have ever had!

For me the trick is to replace those doubts and imaginary poop with a fierce determination to succeed and swap the 'ifs and buts' with 'must, will and cans'.

Good luck with whichever route you end up taking :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. cheapncheerful

#6 cheapncheerful, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    yes which is why I WILL be putting in a brand new squeegee for tuesdays new job...cant afford to swear at my squeegee..:whistle:

and as stated in a previous post...

IM always scared on a new job...always...but soon a new job becomes an old job..

7. Hayden

Hayden Member

I've now available every Saturday and Sunday to get this kicking!

What is the best way to get customers? I'm going to design and order some business cards tonight, are leaflets worth doing?

I currently have a few bits that I ordered from a few months back (Minus the clothes)

What else would you recommend me having?

[​IMG]

8. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

knock them doors as our fellow brothers say believe in what your doing
    we have long days at moment what a winner for graft
    the work will come, dont sell yourself cheap
    gd luck

9. TolishAPurd

Get another handle and a 14in channel and applicator, and load more scrims/cloths. Rumour has it that the liquid you have is rubbish so maybe pick up a bottle of fairy/ecover/magnum or any other commonly recommended dish soap to compare it to. Andget a bigger scraper (6in) as you will be using it a lot in the early days with all the first cleans you'll be doing, the little scrapers are a lot more likely to scratch glass. Get some more rubber too as you'll go through that quickly too with the dirty windows you'll be getting.

10. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

funny to see all new gear gd luck mate

Advertisement