Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A Frame Ladders

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bernie

Do i need a set of A frame ladders for bottom window trad work. are they even used much anymore? as iv not seen a windy useing them for years now lol.

Think you will find most good trad window cleaners like Mark Henderson vid shows prefer to use a pole when reach is an issue on ground floor jobs.

i think he's referring to a single section, mine is about 6ft, although i use a double section a frame extension ladder too. i hate seeing traditional cleaners with standard square top ladders, looks much less professional imo

Would you say there are any advantages using an A frame instead of using a normal ladder then lads

I think if someone was pairing together and doing trad cleans, one does tops and the other does bottoms then, yeah the guy doing the bottoms is better off using a single a frame ladder rather then say carrying step ladders!

But if your on your own and cant reach the top of the bottom windows then just use your ladders but if extended then collapse it down so you can reach better.

I don't know how window cleaners in the past used to use single a frame ladders, cheap yeah, but I mean how did they do the tops????

i think he's referring to a single section, mine is about 6ft, although i use a double section a frame extension ladder too. i hate seeing traditional cleaners with standard square top ladders, looks much less professional imo
When you say less professional how so?

Is this an image thing then? Window cleaners must be seen with A frame ladders?

I think if someone was pairing together and doing trad cleans, one does tops and the other does bottoms then, yeah the guy doing the bottoms is better off using a single a frame ladder rather then say carrying step ladders!

But if your on your own and cant reach the top of the bottom windows then just use your ladders but if extended then collapse it down so you can reach better.

I don't know how window cleaners in the past used to use single a frame ladders, cheap yeah, but I mean how did they do the tops????

When I was a kid n the windy with just a small A frame cleaned he used to do the tops from inside. And more the windows then was old sash up n down ones lol And I'm not sure but I think a lot more people back then had insides done aswell as outs. And I'm not that old lol.

For me I simply choose what methods/tools works best for the type of job I'm doing be it by ladder, extension pole or wfp. I don't think personally an a frame ladder is that necessary for the type of work I do or I would have got one by now. After saying that I still might look out for a bargain on fleebay and give one a go just to see how good or bad they are.

Would you say there are any advantages using an A frame instead of using a normal ladder then lads
Smurf, I just realised something........

Many a time I cleaned windows and there has been on occasion where I can't reach the top of the top part of the window, now I am 5ft 11? and have long arms, but occasionally struggle, and btw I also use square top ladders, now even though I never used A frame ladders, I presume you put these top of the window? Mean you can reach top part of the top window, where as square ladders have to go under the sill(sometimes on the sill but use ladder mitts)

I’m presuming gmeister a frame window cleaning ladders due to the shape are designed to rest in corners of window frames but assume they can also be positioned above the frame if long enough to be set properly.

Most trad ladder window cleaners I've seen working if they can't reach the top of a window by resting a ladder on a sill use a short pole from the ladder or set the ladder above the window frame instead of risking over reaching.

An A frame is better than normal steps because you can, as said before, put the point into corners, but also on large windows where its not possible to reach the top parts you can rest the top of the ladder on the window frame, providing you have it at a fairly steep angle so all the weight goes through the feet of the ladder

My 'A' frame is one of many best tools! I use it to reach over gates and unlatch bolts etc to gain access to back gardens. So much easier than getting the ladders off to do the same thing.

Bit like this old boy then at the end of the vid :Image16:

Still works at the time of this vid 45 hours a week!!!

Can't wait to see you up your big set of ladders then tuffers now that would be worth watching at your age :Image13:

When you say less professional how so?

Is this an image thing then? Window cleaners must be seen with A frame ladders?
just my opinion, a purpose built set of window cleaning a frame ladders with a non marking rubber topblock looks a lot more professional then a standard ladder with ladder mitts, or even worse bits of foam selotaped around the top. and the simple fact is they are better at the job then standard ladders, better positioning, (higher up the frame) allows for less over-reaching

Back