Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Booster pump set up

Aqua

Hi everyone.

I have a ro set up with 2 pre filters and the 40/40 membrane. It works ok but I would like to speed production up.

I would really appreciate some guidance on adding a booster pump to it. What pump to use and what's exactly does it go? Pictures would be great.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Must admit I didn't expect pump to be that expensive tho do you really need one that big?

If I was considering a booster pump I would need to ask someone who can advise correctly.

If you have a small RoMan type r/o then putting a booster pump onto that will increase the water pressure on the membranes as the pump produces more water at high pressure than the r/o 'consumes' or uses.

But once you go toward 4040's this becomes more difficult to understand as you need pressure as well as volume.

Now I see there are booster pumps that only produce a Maximum pressure of 1.5 bar. 1.5 bar = 21 psi. That maybe fine for a swimming pool filter pump but I don't see it being any good for r/o use. The highest pressure I've seen is 4.5 bar = 68 psi.

Now here is a pump that starts to make sense to me with a max pressure of 94.5 psi.

Pumps : Heavy Duty Pump Continous Rated (24 X 7 usage)

I don't see a pressure rating on booster pump GAPS recommends. Salamander sell a shower booster pump - it has a max pressure of 3.0 bar. That's less than our 50 psi water pressure at the tap. I've heard it said that if you feed a 40 psi water pressure into the pump you will get a delivery pressure of 90 psi. That needs clarifying.

If you need the r/o to work faster as you are short of water, then maybe you might consider a 2nd or 3rd IBC tank so you have a bigger storage availability when you want water. One of the issues most have is that if they run a couple of vans then usually everyone wants to fill up at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just found a psi spec on that CBM240E booster pump from Clarke. It will pump to a max pressure of 112psi or 8 bar. That's why June from Gaps recommends it as the ideal booster pump for a 4040.

Thanks spruce appreciate all your advice I was just not expecting to have to pay £300 to do this upgrade. So basically I would need a pump with at least a pressure of say 70psi if not more? Im not sure yet what my mains pressure is but ive ordered a gauge to check it.

You also need to consider how much water comes out of your tap, so you will need to measure that as well.

If you have pipes that are partially blocked with lime scale and calcium deposits you may have the pressure but you won't have the flow.

If you aren't getting enough water through the pipes then a booster pump is not going to give you the results you are trying to achieve.

-

So the gauge arrived and I'm getting about 39 psi. I also measured the flow at around 16 to 17 l/min.

Back