Starting Out

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Dub Man, Apr 16, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Dub Man

Dub Man Newcomer

Hi guys, as the title says I'm just starting out window cleaning and haven't done it before. I've been reading this forum for the past few months and got some great tips.

I work during the week in an office and want to do it in the evenings and weekends. Long story short I'm basically financially screwed and being threatened with repossession so I need an extra income to help cover the bills. If I can earn an extra €400 - €500 pm part-time it will get me out of this hole.

I have a few questions:

1. Looking at the pricing of jobs on here they seem to be a lot cheaper than where I live (Dublin). I bought most of the equipment from a local supplier who has been cleaning windows for decades now and he said he typically prices a 3 bed semi (outside) for €30. That seems like a lot so how do I find if that is normal?

2. In my area there are a lot of housing estates that have been built in the last 20 years and most of them are built with the bottom section slightly further out than the top section with a small roof section between them. You can't stand on these roofs so I am going to order a ladder standoff next week which gives a clearance of 17" - 24" which I'm hoping should clear these roofs, has anyone ever used these?

3. Do you use Ubik to clean the frames or is that just for wfp?

4. I've been practising on my relatives houses but the squeegee leaves a trail of water at the edge, I don't know if it's the squeegee itself or if I'm doing it wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

It' not the squeegee, when you 'blade' across the glass left to right for example the top end of the squeegee should be tilted further to the right than the bottom this will cause the liquid to run off the bottom of the squeegee.

Want to price up an area, have your mom call three windies for quotes and then you will know what the average is.

I have jobs around here from £10 - £60 on domestic work so there is really no 'typical' price so to speak. depends whats involved.

Ubik in a spray bottle on your belt will help with manky frames no bother.

Good luck and welcome!

3. Damo J

Damo J Member

Like green says, jobs vary so pricing will vary. Weigh up whats involved then give a price what YOU think is worth it. At first you'll probably find yourself undercharging in fear they wont accept what you want to charge, at least i did at first. But soon you'll have the confidence to charge appropriately and when a custy accepts you'll be thinking what the **** was i afraid of. As long as you explain to them whats involved for yourself custys tend not to grumble if they're expecting you to do the job for peanuts.

Its down to technique which comes with practice so just keep hammering your windows and take greens advice how to work the blade till you feel confident with it and the speed will come with it too.

I hope everything works out with the predicament you're in and good luck!

4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

id ring the biggest firm in the area ,find out their prices and you want to price a little under that,but not much, a quid or is it a euro where u are

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

I thought you were called DUB Man as musical reference but turns out its Dublin ...
    I'm dissapointed but never mind
    Anyway ... Hope you get your finances sorted - is it bad debts?

6. Dub Man

Dub Man Newcomer

Thanks Green, I should have mentioned that I put a "typical price for a 3 bed semi €25" on my flyers which was probably a bad idea as it won't give me much room for negotiation and I don't know the market.

The blade on my squeegee seems to be very loose and bends at the edge is that normal?

7. Dub Man

Dub Man Newcomer

I'm not sure what you mean by "bad debts", I'm about €45K in arrears on the mortgage repayments so they told me a couple of months ago they would be starting repossession proceedings this month. I haven't heard anything yet but expecting a letter soon. I should be able to stall the process if I can show an increase in earnings and ability to start clearing the arrears every month.

I will never take out a loan from a bank again, or a credit card. It will strictly be a credit union loan if necessary where the loan is not much more than the savings.

8. Green Pro Clean Ltd

If you're that gar behind the smart move is negotiate the repossesion yourself. Avoid courts and bad credit and go rent again till you're sorted.

9. Dub Man

Dub Man Newcomer

The rents have gone crazy over the past few years and would actually cost more than the mortgage so it's not really an option. If I put together a business plan outlining projected earnings it should be enough to get a couple of defferals for the next 6 - 9 months so I still have some breathing space.

Anyway I spent a couple of hours leafleting this morning and when the ladder standoff arrives should be ready to go at the end of next week. I've also put up ads on adverts and donedeal and will have an ad in the local paper.

Reading some of the threads here, particularly the canvassing ones, has helped a lot with motivation. I'm going to put in at least an hour after work each day to do the leafleting and see what response I get.

10. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

I know dub well wat part ya in mate

Advertisement