starting out

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by fozzer, Aug 17, 2016.

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

  1. fozzer

    fozzer Newcomer

    Sep 10, 2015
    Likes Received:
    hi so i want to start window cleaning in my area, but what things do i have to do like register as self employed, keep accounts and sort taxes. and then there is public liabilty insurance. It will only be myself.

    will be working on foot till i pass my test.

    i have most of the equipment i need.

    any help would be much appreciated
  2. Clisty1989

    Clisty1989 Guru

    Oct 21, 2015
    Likes Received:
    Personal liability insurance is a must, gleaming insurance is around 15 a month for 1m cover. Regestering as self employed is easy but you have 12 weeks to set it up. Apart from that all you need is to work hard and keep records of income and expenditure. Anything youve bought in the last 2 years for the business can be included in startup costs. If unemployed then you can apply for nea through the job centre which will help you whilst you get going.
  3. Kennygggkent

    Kennygggkent Transparent Window Cleaning

    Oct 9, 2014
    Likes Received:
    #3 Kennygggkent, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Probably not the best advice in the strictest legal sense, but I think if your doing traditional you'll be ok without Public liability for the first year. I would hazard a guess that about 75% of newbies go a year without getting a policy. Also around £100 to pay out when you have no work is a lot. Just be extra carefull

    Good luck you mate, every customer will talk about you and that is the best way to get more. So be polite and do the best you can with every job, and sooner or later you'll have more work than you need. I started in may 2014 with about 10 rubbish custys that I got given but it's grown to 140 regulars, a great van fully paid off and loads of extra work like gutters and such.

    Welcome to the self employed land of milk and honey baby!
  4. Green Pro Clean Ltd


    Jan 20, 2015
    Likes Received:
    Firstly register as self employed - all the information is here - Working for yourself - GOV.UK

    Secondly get your liability insurance, for reasons I can't be bothered to list Gleaming insurance is the best.

    Thirdly look on Google and find a small business accountant near you. All will do a free 30 minute consultation to let you know what they can do for you and how you should handle your books. Self employed an accountant should be about £150 per year to do all your returns etc.

    Now go clean some windows.