Starting Out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Maxidan, May 29, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Maxidan

Maxidan Guest

Hello all,

Maxidan here. On Tuesday evening I am going to start canvassing to get my new window cleaning business under way. I am both nervous and excited about taking on my new venture and as I am completely green to the trade is there any advice out there to securing new business.

Thanks in advance,
    Maxidan

Advertisement
  2. kars

kars Guest

Hiya. Im in the same boat but my business is aready establishes but running at a loss so have to build it up. all i can say is what i have learned on forums like this has been great and i now feel much more confident. good luck. x

3. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Hi Maxidan, hope it goes well for you.

I would advise that you don't let on that you are new, but let your prospective customers know that you are a window cleaner, and are "looking to expand your round in this area". It helps foster the image that you will do a good job for them.

When canvassing - keep records of who is out, and call back - if they were not in when you called they may not have been in when other people canvassed.

Don't be put off by people saying there is already a window cleaner who does the whole road - it is very rare for this to be the case, and often there will be a pocket of houses that are not covered.

Don't be disappointed if you go for several hours without getting any work - I always reckon on canvassing an average of £10 per hour - you might get £40 in 1/2 an hour then nothing for 3 1/2 hours - it will average out.

Don't price too cheaply because you need the work - define your price structure & stick to it.
    (I always work on £1 per window, a window is termed as the area of glass I can reach in a circle of my arms - without bending my legs - but you will get your own method)

Beware conservatory roof cleans - they always take longer than you think - charge well.

Dave

4. Maxidan

Maxidan Guest

Hi there Kars,

Thanks for both the advice and encouragement. Its just what I need. It would be great if you could keep me posted and I'll do the same. I really hope you can build your business back up bigger and better that before (and soon).

Best of luck,
    Maxidan
    ;)

5. kars

kars Guest

Ha ha me too!!! had my first knock back after pricing today. 28 windows only 1 upper 1set patio doors got the feeling he would not pay £28 so expained the £1 per window rule but was willing to do it for £22 as they were pretty sraight forward ones although would still need a step up..... he replied full of horror that he can get them done for £12 I kept smiling and wished him luck while walking off

6. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Best way, you will always get the odd one that wants something for nothing.

7. Maxidan

Maxidan Guest

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the great advice and encouragement. Its Tuesday today and the beginning of my new venture. I'll be sure to post up my progress (and questions) as I go!
    Smile on,[hr]
    Hi Kars,
    Obviously I'm still don't know lots about the trade but I sounds like you made the right decision on that one!
    Today's the day I start cavassing! I'll let you know how I get on!
    Smile on,
    Dan:)

8. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could be a race between Dan & Kars.

All the best for both of you.

9. Comeon then Dan and Kars - spill the beans...

How is the canvassing going - any luck?

10. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

I reckon - 3 ***hts, say 3 hours per ***ht - say 10 customers each.. ish???

Advertisement