Starting Up On A Budget - Have I Forgotten Anything?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by adrianb1066, Feb 17, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. adrianb1066

adrianb1066 Member

Just working out the equipment to start up on a limited budget using my existing car. I want to start small and build from there rather than investing a lot of cash up-front.

What do you lot that have been there and done that think? Anything missing?

Unger Applicator & Sleeve
    SquegeeBucket Belt
    Bucket
    Traditional Window Cleaners Ladder
    Roof Bars

WCW WFP Big Boy Backpack System with Pole.
    TDS Meter
    4*25 Litre Barrels
    RO 100 GPD Installed on an outside tap housed in a cupboard for insulation
    Water Butt to store Pure Water

Public Liability Insurance
    Business Car Insurance
    Flyers

Any and all advice welcome - Adrian.

Advertisement
  2. OoO

OoO Guest

Hi welcome to the forum, please have a quick read of the rules found here https://www.windowcleaningforums.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Unger Applicator & Sleeve
    SquegeeBucket Belt
    Bucket
    Traditional Window Cleaners Ladder
    Roof Bars

That is pretty much the basic setup, a lot of chaps use ecover on here (found in sainsburys etc) Its like fairy but a bit easier. You have not mentioned any scrims, so ideally you need a few scrims and some sill cloths. I use microfibre sill cloths at about £1 each. Nice and small and easy to use, poundland does 3 for a.........£1

WCW WFP Big Boy Backpack System with Pole.
    TDS Meter
    4*25 Litre Barrels
    RO 100 GPD Installed on an outside tap housed in a cupboard for insulation
    Water Butt to store Pure Water

I would check your TDS from your tap and decided what route to go, if you have low TDS you could maybe go with just the DI route. Having an RO uint will bring you water down to around 3-10PPM you could clean with that. As you are just starting i would recommend ONLY cleaning with 000 (pure water) So regardless you need a DI and some resin to "polish the water"

You may need a few more barrels than if you pick up more work.

Water butt is fine, keep out of the sun and try to cover. Proper tank would be ideal.

WCW back pack YES! We use four of them, on the pole MY opinion NO! Check out Gardiner pole systems, pretty much the best going mate.

Public Liability Insurance
    Business Car Insurance
    Flyers

Yes x3 A chap on here called dodger, can probably help with the bottom one. If not for a start go with something like vista print with an offer.

Any and all advice welcome - Adrian.

Adrian, good to have you aboard!

3. adrianb1066

adrianb1066 Member

Thanks Damo I had thought of the scrims and Ecover just didn't list them. Not sure what my TDS is until I get a meter but living in an area of Sussex which is all chalk i suspect it will be high. Good tip on the DI & Resin to take the TDS down to 000 ppm will look into that now.

Trying to keep my spend low so have found a deal for the backpack that includes a pole http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/shop/index.php?option=com_aceshop&route=product/product&path=131_248&product_id=4032- If it's no good then thanks for the recommendation. I've just had a look at Gardiners website and this isn't as expensive as I'd have thought http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/cl-x-carbon-composite-pole.html

Thanks for the advice mate and the welcome :)

4. OoO

OoO Guest

That price is not bad at all tbh, just had a play with figures and i cant really match it.

The BIG BOY is pretty dam good to be honest.

You "should" be able to find your tds online somewhere But yeah i would imagine it will be fairly high.

Thats the thing gardiners is not expensive for what you get. The SLX range is amazing value for money, the extremes are the flag ship poles. I use them and love them lol

You are welcome (didn't realise you joined at the beginning of the month tho, sorry ;) )

Later on you can further save money, by swapping DI's about and using two inline etc.

That will come, when you expand further!

5. Window Cleaning Rayleigh

Window Cleaning Rayleigh Well-Known Member

One little bit of kit I find essential is a good scrapper mate for all the bits of paint or sellotape or stubborn bird **** u get on the glass! I can also recommend the gardiners slx range as I use them, fantastic poles and brushes, I use the dual trim medium brushes for Window Cleaning :)

6. adrianb1066

adrianb1066 Member

Good scraper - Check!
    Been looking for the Gardiners 6 range then realised you wrote SLX - DOH!

7. adrianb1066

adrianb1066 Member

Thread Hijack - Find me a moderator! :D

8. OoO

OoO Guest

It's a link to a scraper lol to help you :p

9. adrianb1066

adrianb1066 Member

I know mate should have used a ;)

Advertisement