Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting Window cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm starting window cleaning over the summer, I have bought the necessary equipment however I am still practicing on using my squeege, do any of you have any good links? Tradman academy have a good video but its rather complicated in my opinion to master. My main issue is leaving rainbow lines which I obviously dont want. Thanks.

What kit did you buy? You do have to learn how much pressure to apply and what angle your wrist needs to be at.
To be completely honest, why did you look to start trad? WFP is more expensive but safer than working from ladders especially if you are not used to it?

I'm starting window cleaning over the summer, I have bought the necessary equipment however I am still practicing on using my squeege, do any of you have any good links? Tradman academy have a good video but its rather complicated in my opinion to master. My main issue is leaving rainbow lines which I obviously dont want. Thanks.
You’ll find loads of demonstrations on YouTube. Just keep practicing on your own/friends/family windows, more variety in window shapes/sizes the better.

What kit did you buy? You do have to learn how much pressure to apply and what angle your wrist needs to be at.
To be completely honest, why did you look to start trad? WFP is more expensive but safer than working from ladders especially if you are not used to it?
I just want some money I'm not trying to be doing this all the time as I've gotten school I'm planning on just doing some windows of business near by, equipment wise I got a pole which I can use for high up places and a squeege and applicator by ettore along with this other applicator and squeege but its not great quality. I have been practicing on my methods currently and It's going alright and I even have a client.

I just want some money I'm not trying to be doing this all the time as I've gotten school I'm planning on just doing some windows of business near by, equipment wise I got a pole which I can use for high up places and a squeege and applicator by ettore along with this other applicator and squeege but its not great quality. I have been practicing on my methods currently and It's going alright and I even have a client.
Ettore is a decent brand so as long as your rubber is in good condition you should be OK. A couple of channels to watch Trad man is fairly good (maybe a bit biased on kit depending on who is sponsoring him!) Early stuff might be better. The other is Polzn Bladz - OK so he tends to waffle on a lot and only uses certain tools but he talks about soap solution, angles etc. Then there are the americans like 'Luke The Window Cleaner' or 'SteveO The Window Cleaner' I'm not saying any of these are perfect but all have tips that might help. You really need to watch lots and see the little things they do, like making sure the rubber is 'wet' before starting.
Practice as much as you can each and everyday, doesn't matter if you do same window over and over again then try a different one.
If you are doing businesses and customers it might be wise to think about public liability insurance as if you drop your pole on a car or someone trips over your bucket it could cost you bit time.
If you think about it while at school/college you still have weekends so you might be able to build up a nice little business and some decent real life experience dealing with customers, running your own business etc which would all look good on a CV!

I'm not doing this full time or expecting alot of money, I'm 15 and by no means am I going to try treat it like I am a proffessional compared to the others. However I'm going to be doing this over the summer and I've already got a place to clean, a dentist. I am watching videos and whatnot and I don't want to do a half ass job I am going to try do well, thanks for the advice.

I'm not doing this full time or expecting alot of money, I'm 15 and by no means am I going to try treat it like I am a proffessional compared to the others. However I'm going to be doing this over the summer and I've already got a place to clean, a dentist. I am watching videos and whatnot and I don't want to do a half ass job I am going to try do well, thanks for the advice.
Hi Tim,
I sincerely hope you have a great time in your little venture.
Do you have any tips on getting my teenagers off their butts and out doing something productive?

Hope it goes well for you mate! Check this video out on youtube. It's easy to follow. Just ensure you have a decent squeegee!

It is all about practice. As stated above Ettore is a good squeegee, but ensure you have a decent rubber in it...poor tools.poor job...and it is the rubber that removes the solution off the window. So get a bucket...put some detergent in it (Ettore requires less slip than for example Moerman tools) stick your applicator in it, clean/scrub the window with the applicator(that is it,s purpose) and then use straight pulls or fanning with the squeegee to remove the solution. And do it again and again till you "get" it. As for pole work....more difficult....but practice and practice. Cleaning a window is basically simple........but not so much so if you are doing it "professionally" for paying customers. Good luck.

I found one of the best bits of equipment squeegee wise was an Unger 0 degree swivel LS000.

They aren't cheap, but Unger now seem to do a blue version available on Amazon.

I also have a 30 degree Unger swivel squeegee, but hardly ever use it.

We clean internal windows at a local leisure centre. Some of those windows are 30' high with limited working floor space. This swivel squeegee is the only way of blading them.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back