Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flooded customers kitchen.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Leeds

Did a patio pressure washing job from a referral two days ago. Had no outside tap, so ran a hose into the kitchen and used an adapter to plug it into the tap. No leaks. Did job, even got tipped due to how happy she was with it.

Get a call from her daughter today "your pressure washer has leaked as there's water under the lino in my mum's kitchen, gonna have to rip it up and get new one, also I'm not happy with how much she paid, I don't think it's worth that."

I said I didn't see a leak when I was there, (but how much could lino cost for 3 square ft of floor) but I'm happy to pay for getting new one.

I don't know if she's trying it on or what. How would you deal with this kind of issue? Refund?

If you don't think it was you, then stand your ground.

If she thinks her mum has paid too much, then tough #%&@, she agreed to the price. (Assuming you did the job you agreed on to a satisfactory standard).

She's pulling a fast one imo. The lino is probably on its way out so they are after a new one. If the lino was new then it would be sealed on the edges still and water wouldn't have got in. The fault would therefor lie with the person who laid it.

I used to be a floor fitter BTW. /emoticons/wink.png

Are you sure there was no leaks?

The slightest leak over a few hour will seem big

It will run round the seal of the sink run along down into cupboard below then floor

I've had it happen years ago

But it doesn't ruin Lino maybe if wood we then yes not lino

At first glance i would say she is trying it on with you as you say the daughter called you the next day to inform you that you had flooded her mothers kitchen and ruined the lino and ripped her of on price i would have thought you would have had a call the same day regarding the flooding, however you have put yourself in a bit of a potential problem here by saying you would be happy to pay for new lino or refund her you have all ready admitted liability

How old is mother ? If very elderly the daughter may have been unaware of her intention to have the work done. The fact that there's a problem with the kitchen floor gives her an excuse to criticise your work and charges and tar you with the cowboy brush. I wouldn't have admitted liability for the leak without first calling round to see the damage, if you lift the Lino you will be able to tell if the water is recent or not. As far as elderly customers when quoting I always ask for son's daughter's contact numbers I then call them up and explain the quote before proceeding.

There is always the chance that there just a dishonest family and trying it on.

It looks like your going to have to replace the Lino but stick to your guns on your charges. If she continues to hassle you prehaps you have similar quotes for similar jobs proving you haven't overcharged.

How old is mother ? If very elderly the daughter may have been unaware of her intention to have the work done. The fact that there's a problem with the kitchen floor gives her an excuse to criticise your work and charges and tar you with the cowboy brush. I wouldn't have admitted liability for the leak without first calling round to see the damage, if you lift the Lino you will be able to tell if the water is recent or not. As far as elderly customers when quoting I always ask for son's daughter's contact numbers I then call them up and explain the quote before proceeding.There is always the chance that there just a dishonest family and trying it on.

It looks like your going to have to replace the Lino but stick to your guns on your charges. If she continues to hassle you prehaps you have similar quotes for similar jobs proving you haven't overcharged.
This is what does my head in

Price was agreed to

Why now show them similar quotes from other jobs..you are not having to justify your price

As for contacting the customers children to explain the quote if that was me i would be taking that as an insult that you would need to go round me and ask my kids like i have no control over my own decisions just because i am old having spent my whole life making my own decisions

Irrespective of whether you pay for the lino as a goodwill gesture that in no way means you need to change your price

You are just doing the same as your insurance company would and rectifying the issue

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not have agreed to pay for the Lino until I visited to verify what was claimed and only then made a decision re my culpability. Sometimes you can get a read on people and can tell straight away that they are trying to pull a fast one. Interfering relatives or friends really bug me, especially when they weren't even present while I was working.

Problem with a hose attached to a kitchen tap is that if the hose doesn't loop down into the sink before it descends to the floor there is the possibility that leaking water from the tap will run down the hose onto the floor instead of dripping into the sink. I've done this in my own kitchen years ago before I fitted an outside tap.

Very sorry to hear about the leak madam, please take as many photos as you can and email them to me right away I will forward them to my insurance company and they will send an assessor to verify if it was me or some other issue. As for the price I charge that is not open to discussion, I gave your mother a quote and she accepted it, she could have said no or asked other for quotes but she chose to go ahead and that is a binding contract. I look forward to receiving the photographs of the alleged damage promptly. Kind regards, Meridion.

I will bet £20 she don't send you pictures!!

Thank you for the help guys! The mother tipped me because she felt I undercharged and she was chuffed with the work.

I clean the daughters windows and she told her mother to use me for the pressure washing. Her mother then rang me and we met up quoted etc. I don't know why her mother didn't ring straight after and tell me there was a leak.

I said to her "there was no leak while I was there at all. If however there is no other possible explanation then I'm happy to pay for replacement."

I could ring her again and ask for proof etc. I just don't know if it's worth creating bad blood for £50 lino. The kitchen is tiny (council).

Not that I care if I keep the daughter as a customer either, she has a tiny house too.

If you don't think it was you, then stand your ground.
If she thinks her mum has paid too much, then tough #%&@, she agreed to the price. (Assuming you did the job you agreed on to a satisfactory standard).

She's pulling a fast one imo. The lino is probably on its way out so they are after a new one. If the lino was new then it would be sealed on the edges still and water wouldn't have got in. The fault would therefor lie with the person who laid it.

I used to be a floor fitter BTW. /emoticons/wink.png
Thanks Tolish! I'll say something along hose lines and say to her on that basis I'll be happy to pay half towards lino replacement. That should encourage her to keep the bill cost down.

Might be worth getting them to check the pipework under the sink. I had a customer who had a leak for a long time without realising it. Only came to light when the kitchen began to smell. Plumber told them it had been leaking for a long time. When they pulled up the flooring it was soaking wet and apparently had been for a long time.

I am baffled how can the lino be ruined off some water its bloody waterproof if anything would be water damaged it would be the plinth around the kitchen .

Council houses round here are notorious for leaks and damp, I'd go have a look and if unsure take photos and speak to insurers or get an expert in, sounds like she could be pulling a fast one. If it is your fault say you want a written quote so they can't rip you off.

Back