Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window beads delaminating.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gilly

0f4e88a9ff4ab51cf93b019748ec0307.jpg

Iv never seen this before. Has anyone else seen this?

Yeah i have on a couple of old houses

Seems to be the south facing side each time where the sun is always on it

These frames are usually white UPVC plastic with a wood grain vinyl stuck over it. The vinyl is coming unstuck. Our customer owns Polar Windows and he told me.

These frames are usually white UPVC plastic with a wood grain vinyl stuck over it. The vinyl is coming unstuck. Our customer owns Polar Windows and he told me.
The upvc is brown underneath @spruce but your right about the vinyl.

Lol Drop customer before ur blamed lol
Sadly you are probably right @peter rogers. I would be very nervous about this and certainly draw the customers attention to it. If its only on one trim then its probably worth the risk but if delamination is more wide spread then I would take measures to ensure that I wasn't held responsible.

I would be thinking along the lines of a waver. @Gilly you aren't the cause of the problem, but anyone cleaning those windows will be making the situation worse whatever the cleaning method. And of course nature (wind and sun) will also be a factor.

The fact that the base plastic is brown will make the problem less noticeable. My Polar windows customer's vinyl is on white UPVC. When a window is open the white is very noticeable. I like the wood effect look but don't like the way its done.

-

Unfortunately they weren't in when I cleaned but they are reasonable people (last famous words) so I'm sure it will be ok. It's just two glazing bars that are the problem not the whole frame.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Polar window spruce,no them well

We're are you based?

Some people like the plain brown windows, others go for a upvc window that has the effect its made from wood, this is known as a woodgrain window. Its this woodgrain effect that's peeling off.

Brown, black and woodgrain can be more troublesome than white upvc windows as they can expand and contract more on hot days. This can cause the locking mechanisms to go out of line and clunk as you shut the window.

When I was a window fitter, I got called back on more 'dark' windows than white ones when it came to peeling or the locks out of line

Polar window spruce,no them wellWe're are you based?
Saltburn by the Sea @Eviestevie. Our customer works out of Middlesbrough. It seems quite a big operation as they have quite a few lads working for them. About 7 years ago he told me they had a personnel of 80, mostly fitters.

According to the owner they gave up on residential as commercial was much more lucrative. And judging by the life style they live, the business must be earning it.

-

Saltburn by the Sea @Eviestevie. Our customer works out of Middlesbrough. It seems quite a big operation as they have quite a few lads working for them. About 7 years ago he told me they had a personnel of 80, mostly fitters.
According to the owner they gave up on residential as commercial was much more lucrative. And judging by the life style they live, the business must be earning it.

-
Interesting that spruce. The company i worked for (Sutton windows) used to make their own windows and had 45 fabricators.

However, they have found that by having them delivered down from a company in Manchester and making the fabricators redundant, they are making more profit than ever

-
There's a big window firm round my way called polar have lot off lads working for them been going years

My brother owns a large double glazing firm and just branched out and opened a factory doimg composite roofs

Your right though about them white them think hey call foil wrapping it brown

Gets much hotter than a white frame

When I do a gutter change I use a company called freefoam there coloured gutters are white on he inside to stop things like this caused by heat

I have a customer with a conny like that, peeling off here and there, I just peel it off with customers say, he has wood/beading to fit on these parts that he has replaced in parts.

Back