Still learning...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Gleam Windows, Mar 11, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Guys, excuse my ignorance but still trying to pick things up this end & been watching Youtube videos all day. As a start up am I right in saying I need both ladders and poles? I guess Im looking to switch between both depending on the job right?
    Thanks again for any input.
    Nick

Advertisement
  2. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

If it’s any help - I have 2m single a frame, 3m double a frame, I use these for windows usually no more than 1 hours use per month. 3.5m double standard ladder used for residential gutters, and with this ladder I have (and use) all the safety attachments, also have step ladders for when I clean inside conservatory roofs

The rest of the time I use wfp.

Richard

3. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

No mate, you dont need ladders AND poles, you can, if you choose, use both, but you dont have to. I am wfp only, so no ladders for me, and thats fine for me (not good with heights!). It is very worthwhile learning the skills for trad window cleaning, even if you decide to go wfp only. It is something i wish i could do, still, i've been at it well over 2.5yrs now, and it hasnt really been an issue.

4. Ryan

Ryan Guest

iv just started out mate myself 4 weeks ago

i spent £120 gutted lol on a roof rack and haven't needed to buy ladders yet tbh i dont see any any need for them iv done a fair few jobs already and all iv noticed is a i need a bigger pole for some jobs to get over canopys ect

iv got 3 poles
    1 for bottoms conservitorys tight spaces ect
    1 17ft for second floor work and bottoms use this 70% of the time
    1 25ft for 3rd floor work and over conservitores ect also only use this 20% of the time tbh but can be used of 2nd floor work

thay seem to cover all the work iv picked up so far

personally id like to get a set just incase but iv i dont need to i wont lol

5. jambo113

jambo113 Guest

you would be best off buying a set of ladders even if your wfp i know a couple of windys round here mainly use wfp but still have a set of ladders on the roof just in case e.g access over garage roofs or windows that are covered with specs of paint and gutter clean outs. but if ure going trad just a pair of 3.5 meters doubles should be ok and just get an extension pole for the higher awkward windows

6. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Personal choice i know, but there is no way i would be climbing over a wall/fence/gate on a ladder to get access to the back!. If you fall and break your leg (or worse) doing this, who is going to pay your bills?. If my customers want the windows at the back done, they can leave the gate unlocked or it aint getting done! (and they will still be charged for the full clean, unless i am in a particularly good mood!).

7. James

James Guru

I'm the same as bbd. I will never climb over people's garages etc if they forget to unlock the gate. They won't pay the bills if something happens

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xqvsmk

8. After reading up all day and trying to learn about the job realise that was a bit of a silly post now really. These WFP just about cover ever base dont they....thanks for all the input

9. James

James Guru

Inbox me if you have any more questions buddy, more than happy to help.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?n4bfvz

10. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Not a silly post at all mate, if you dont know something you dont know, its better to ask!.
    Besides, quite a few windy's on here (not me, obviously!) use both methods, wfp for upstairs, trad for dowstairs. Which, if you have a smaller wfp system, you might have to do anyway as you would really need 350+litres to do a full day wfp.

Advertisement