Storing the pure

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Luke Barnard, Apr 6, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Luke Barnard

Luke Barnard Active Member

Hello all.
    Been at this about 8 months now and starting to fill my days with around 10-15 houses per day (all different shapes and sizes). Currently I've got a 350 litre tank in my van which I very rarely empty on a days work except when doing lots of first cleans or nasty upvc when there's no garden tap.
    I've been using two 220litre water butts for storage in the back garden and pumping to the van through a hosepipe which I run through the house (its a terrace with drive out front).
    I'm starting to get sick of the hosepipe through the house for half hour a day and the kids messing with the water butts so now I'm looking for a better way of storing/transfereing the water and came up with this....

Fit a 100 Gallon (450 odd litre) potable cold water tank in the loft (the coffin type with lid, you can get them from screwfix, aswell as the existing one for the house supply) run the tube from the ro upto that with a ball valve and overflow and gravity feed from that down to a tap on the front wall of the house or even move the ro etc upto the loft with the tank and run the waste into the soil pipe.
    I'm pretty sure I can make it work, just seeing if anybody has any reasons not to do it this way???
    What worries me is the extra weight in the loft and if in the future I need to store more water....
    Sorry for the massive post and any thoughts much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Luke.

Advertisement
  2. Spread the weight on an 8x4 sheet (if you can get one up there)and put it near the wall plate.
    Go for it man. Gravity is great!

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

If you have a drive then the simple solution but not the cheapest is to get a plumber to sort out an outside tap at the front of the house. Then stick a decent fast flow 4040 size ro/di auto fill system in the van.

4. Luke Barnard

Yeah I'm pretty sure I can get it over a solid internal wall, once I find a home for all the old baby clothes! Come to think of it they probably weigh half a ton so dunno what I'm worrying about....
    I'd like a 4040 in the van but trying to stick to what I can afford rite now and my 200gpd ro with a booster pump is keeping up with me atm.
    Thanks both for the tips.

5. Andy

Andy Forum Addict

i used to help a guy out with some window cleaning when he first started his cleaning company he had a 500 tank on a office roof in a unit it had 15mm pipe running down and throu the wall with a tap on used to take almost an hour for it to transfer to van by gravity. Go the smurf route or at least outside tap and plug in to ro in van

6. Could you run a semi permanent hose through a less obtrusive part of the house? Up the wall through the loft and down the other side? Maybe with black alkathene pipe 25mm with inline pump from your drums, filling your van in moments. How long you gonna stay where you live?

7. Luke Barnard

The garden hose through house is the biggest problem so yes could go for a larger bore pipe up through the loft and keep the butts...just looked up the tank and it's £250+ so think I'll add that to the ro fund and keep saving....in the house for a while, need a few years of records? to remortgage.

8. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

i live in an apartment and have to hook m 4040 up to a house tap for 3 hours in evening

4040 all fittings included only cost 370 brand new

9. Luke Barnard

where do you drain you waste water from the ro? Problem is my drains are all at the back of the house...

10. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

just onto the street lol i have the hose connection thru bottom of van so tap goes in waste comes out i have van locked so sorted but jus leae it and it runs onto the street

Advertisement