Storing water or making it in my possible future flat?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by slippy, Jul 14, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

Found a flat and it has a garage nearby- wondering if I could run a window cleaning business from it. There's a garage and could run a 40 metre extension lead from my flat window and there is an outside tap about 55 metres from it. There is road and communal gardens between the garage and house- could I run a small RO unit in the garage or is this a stupid idea? is it better to just purify the water in a van outside the flat? On my budget finding it hard to choose a place to live which could also accommodate an RO.

Advertisement
  2. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Can you not buy your water from somewhere?

Seems like a big ask running an extension lead that far... Plus a hose - it wouldn't go down well with the neighbours, and the road is an obvious issue, you can't run cables or hose over a road...

3. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

u sorta need t have the van beside the garage or beside the water tap can u not get the van near the tap ? if so how much water u using ? and

4. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

Yeah I could park the van right next to the tap or even close to my flat- can you run an RO filter system in a van?

5. peter rogers

just put it in the van and park beside the tap

6. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

#6 slippy, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Won't be using too much water as business is starting out and quite small. All this time I have been looking for a flat with a small garden thinking I needed a place like this to put the RO water tank and have somewhere to drain off the water. However, I could do it next to this communal tap for all the flats and have the waste water go onto the communal gardens. Maybe I should get my mortgage and settle for this place, it's cheap. If anyone complains about me using too much water I guess I could just run a hose from flat tap ( so only I am paying) out of window into van?

7. paulben

paulben Member

Comunual tap is for everyone to use if your hogging it you may upset other residents who could drop you in it with water board for not paying business rates on water or turn off tap leaving booster pump to run dry and you without water

8. peter rogers

just do wat i do in my flat hook up at night

and from everyone else experiecne get a van big enough to cope with what you will have in say a year or two

9. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

Before you go signing for a Mortgage on this new Flat, speak to as many residents as you can...are these flats 'Leashold' or have the residents bought the 'Freehold' and set-up their own 'Residents Management Company'.....some will have different restrictions to others, sometimes these can be very odd or very restrictive in what you can or can't do.

10. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

My flat would be leasehold. When I was looking around I spoke to this old guy who lives there and he said he was on the board or something in charge of running the flats- I don't know if this means Residents Management Company, but will ask. Officially he said you can't run a business from the garage or flat that you have there, and he said that a window cleaner before who was banging his ladders around every morning was told off or asked to leave, however a chippy kept his tools in the garage and made no noise so it wasn't a problem. The Business rule is there but if you're quiet and don't bother anyone then it isn't a problem. Surely if I used my own tap- had a hose running out of kitchen window around the flat to my parked van (at the back of my flat) next to my flat in the evening then there shouldn't be a problem?

Advertisement