struggling with first cleans

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by beaver0_15, Apr 8, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. beaver0_15

beaver0_15 Active Member

just wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to go about doing first cleans, iv just bought some kit and cleaned the windows on my house a 2 up 2 down which took about and hour which is obviously not good but i thought the frames r now mint and its the first time iv ever cleaned windows next time wont take 2 minutes, quick wipe on the frame then just the glass.then i got my first customer a slightly bigger house (3 bed semi) which again i expected it was going to take a while as they hadnt been cleaned for 8 years and im still a noob, but i thought i could improve on what it took to do mine. how wrong i was, it took me 3 hours, i was seriously considering giving up on it. can anyone help? is there some wonder product for cleaning frames? should i not do such a good job? should i avoid frames completely? the trouble is i want to be known for doing a good job but if every job is going to take that long for a first clean then it really isnt worth doing as i would have to do that house another ten times just to earn the lost money back.
    any help would be much appreciated
    brett

Advertisement
  2. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Hi Brett, don’t get so down about first cleans, they can take a lot longer than maintaining the windows.

The last first clean 3 bed semi I recall doing to me 45 minutes with wfp (very dirty) maintaining the windows now takes 10 minutes at best.

Last week did a first clean for a commercial job time on site was 9 hours cleaning (long day) the first clean cost the customer £475 the maintenance clean price in comparison is £150.

Charge much more if you need to for first cleans; they won’t all be bad and take a long time to bring them up to scratch.

Richard

3. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

Hey pal, you should say to your new customers like that, that it will be double first time as they are so bad, then after that it will be easier to maintain

4. beaver0_15

beaver0_15 Active Member

hi thanks for the replys, how much extra can u get away with charging for first cleans though, i was only charging a normal clean price at £7 but even at double, 14 pound for 3 hours work and half a tub of cif is far from what i want to be earning lol, i dont mind losing a little bit on a first clean for a 4 weekly customer as over time it will pay for itself. iv found some contractors solvent that people seem to be impressed with, hopefully it will cut down the scrubbing
    brett

5. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

soak with tfr and then wash off, this is what i do makes life easier

6. beaver0_15

beaver0_15 Active Member

hi thanks, is that just a spray on and wipe off?, ill have a look for it cheers

7. mark m

mark m Hero

When it was mentioned about charging double for your first cleans this is because it normally takes a little longer but that is going round the frames with a scrim and cleaning frames not using cif on all the windows no wonder you are a bit disheartened you should be charging 10 x for that mate

8. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

i stick it in a bucket with water and brush on

9. beaver0_15

beaver0_15 Active Member

this comment has cheered me up a bit, although i did three hours work for £7 yesterday i never will again :), so would u bang a bit of solvent based stuff on for a first clean or just dry wipe?

10. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

I recently done a few new ones, all the white frames were a ***htmare. I just soap the window, use a damp cloth, wipe the frames ( don't scrub them, that's called a PVC job to me ) then proceed to cleaning the glass.

Times I don't even charge extra for regular customers, and maybe I should. But once you do them the first time they don't need done every single time, I would maybe only do the frames every 3 months or whenever it is noticeable

Advertisement