Suitable size of ladder

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by Donal, Mar 14, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Donal

Donal Newcomer

I am looking to go into gutter cleaning, as an add on. For your normal size three bedroom house, what size ladder would be best.
    I am looking at using the ladder mate as well, so it has to be high enough for this.

Also I have done a couple and noticed that people have asked me to clean the facia on the side of the house, which go to as high as the top of the roof. So I assume the ladder would have to reach this height as well. I guess this is around 40 foot high.

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

#2 Smurf, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    This is the setup I use

12 rung combi triple from bps that I use mostly as a normal ladder http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-12-Rung...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item48573944ca

The ladder is fitted with an ankalad that stabalises the ladder and folds in to the stiles when not in use. Cuts out backward slip at the botton & sideways slip at the top of the ladder

I also use a microlite standoff when wanting to reach the roofline as it can rest on roof tiles so is a lot safer and easier to work.

This ladder set up I've found to be the safest and makes gutter clearing much easer to do espesialy doing pool work using progutter tools.

Example pic of the ladder setup

tn-IMG_5093.JPG

For higher work cleaning plastic etc like apex cleaning and/or on really awkward gutter, sofitt, fascia cleaning jobs like in the pic I use a wfp & chems if need be to reach over consevatories and pitched roofs etc.

The guttervac also is used on awkard parts I cant get to safely by ladders

3. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Smurf, how do you get the standoff over the roof overhang and onto the tiles without dinging something? Do you extend away from the wall, lower onto roof, walk base out, or another way around? Like have it next to house, extend up half way, walk it out, pull out extend...

I'd just add that a single man ladder to get to the apex safely (9m?) might be a tad heavy, make sure you're happy with the weight Donal!

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I place the ladder roughly where I want it to be and hold it vertical to extend it then lower it gently onto the roof.

5. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Ok smurf I'll make sure I try that next time. Got a gutter clear Monday, I'm hoping to just use vac but...

I think I'm setting up too close to the house currently, thought the stand off wheels were for rolling up the wall?

If you can't get your ankalad deployed through lack of space, do you set up anyway or try to avoid that?

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Mind you after saying that I've had plenty of practise. That is what you need to do... practise makes perfect as they say.

You will soon figure out how to set the ankald legs out in a confined space too as they don't have to be opened full width to still work. However If you think the ladder set is too dodgy then don't use the ladder.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

On some jobs like say when a bush is in the way and I can't fully deploy one of the legs for instance I also use ladder spurs to be on the safe side.

tn-IMG_6120.JPG

tn-IMG_6121.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

image.jpg I set up like this a week or so ago as the ground was too uneven between the placement points of contact and was between brace settings...

9. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I'm finding rarely is there not a wall, step bush etc in the way. I might just use the ladderm8s sometimes when the brace can't come out at all on the cross beam base section. I think my brace might be a bit harder to use perhaps cause the middle brace bar seems a bit tricky too at times, seems to want the big splay and even footings.

Being a novice to this, the ladder placement stuff has been the hardest to get my head around...

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I never use the brace bar..the strap will stop the legs spreading and the bar is flimsy plastic ends so doesn't do anything more than make sure the legs are at a certain width which is no good for some jobs i do like smurf said to avoid obstacles etc

Advertisement