Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello To All! Sam From Hampshire

Major_MInus

Hello to everyone!

Been a member on here for a little while now, not posted anything yet - in that time just trying to take as much in as possible!

Had the idea to become self employed and get into window cleaning a couple of months back, and since then have been on here and various other window cleaning related websites pretty much daily. There is a vast amount of information to be absorbed and considerably more than I had first anticipated!

I knew from the off that I wanted to go the WFP route and have learned a hell of a lot from just reading old/new posts and topics on here every day. As I say, it's a case of trying to absorb as much information as possible before diving into anything, but it seems to be the kind of job that suits be with regards to flexible hours, being your own boss etc.

I'm hoping to get all the prep done by the end of this year and then launch into it early next year (probably not the easiest time but hey ho! /emoticons/tongue.png) What annoys me most is the reaction you get when you explain to people that you're considering starting a window cleaning business. Despite the fact it probably earns better than most 9-5 office jobs. I mean don't get me wrong, I am under no illusions that this is a job that automatically earns well. I know there will have to be a lot of hard work that goes into it, and I am more than prepared to do so!

I know the majority on here would recommend going the DIY route and it's something I have strongly taken into consideration, but I do have a bit of cash behind me and may well take the option of having a full system installed - have particularly been looking at Pure Freedom as they seem to be respected a hell of a lot, especially as engineers

Anyways, sorry for the slight essay, just wanted to give a good introduction and I look forward to lots of banter!

Sam

Hey Sam,

Welcome to the forum /emoticons/smile.png This is the place to be as you are starting up... you will learn a lot.... and any questions just ask and several members will help you /emoticons/smile.png

Before i started out i used to come on here everyday....... I learned so much without these forums i would not know much about window cleaning ! am 100% wfp by the way and its been over 5 months since i been trading i got 148 customers..... i need 250 customers to earn a decent living...... but nearly their /emoticons/smile.png

And explain to anyone... they wont understand much as yourself... when i told people am starting out people laughed at me.. some people even said it wont work /emoticons/wacko.png but deep down i knew it would work /emoticons/smile.png i stuck it out.... and am doing pretty well to get 148 customers in just over 5 months.... ive lost a lot of customers due to timewasters at the same time plus ive took customers of my round aswell because some people just take the pi*s lol... but its got to be done ....

In 6 months time i can see myself doing very well /emoticons/smile.png just got to be patient and it will pay off in the end mate /emoticons/smile.png

And purefreedom is the way forward mate /emoticons/smile.png number 1 wfp company... i rate them number 1 and thats ahead of Ionics /emoticons/smile.png

But DIY is the way to go /emoticons/smile.png

Seems like you head is in the right place mate. Dont limit your self to just WFP I do believe the modern window cleaner needs to know both styles of window cleaning. There are other companys out there that fit systems cheaper that Pure freedom and will do juts as a good a job, arguably better. Shop around you will be amazed at some prices. IF you going to spend that kind of coin you will need to be committed.

hey welcome,

diy is the best way to go, its easier than you think

3 main thing

1 = a tank for a couple of hundred quid

2= 100 psi pump

3= digital controller

the pump and controller can be bought as a pack and therefore easier to connect

you then need a fe other bits

1/2 pipe

leisure battery (not a car battery)

and to make you life easier get a solar panel charger from ebay and while you on there get a 12v self switching relay kit to charge the battery, then you dont have to drag a cable out each night and charge it.

and a pole

hey welcome,

diy is the best way to go, its easier than you think

3 main thing

1 = a tank for a couple of hundred quid

2= 100 psi pump

3= digital controller

the pump and controller can be bought as a pack and therefore easier to connect

you then need a fe other bits

1/2 pipe

leisure battery (not a car battery)

and to make you life easier get a solar panel charger from ebay and while you on there get a 12v self switching relay kit to charge the battery, then you dont have to drag a cable out each night and charge it.

and a pole
The realy kit will be enough though

The realy kit will be enough though
they only work when the van battery if fully charged, if you are just running from door to door then it wont produce enough charge to replace what is being used, they are good on long runs, but a solar panel will be putting charge into the battery when ever there is light, if the van is parked up over the weekend its always charging,

also its good to have as a backup, if the relay ever fails the only way you will find out is when the battery dies. last thing you want when you start a day.

they only work when the van battery if fully charged, if you are just running from door to door then it wont produce enough charge to replace what is being used, they are good on long runs, but a solar panel will be putting charge into the battery when ever there is light, if the van is parked up over the weekend its always charging,

also its good to have as a backup, if the relay ever fails the only way you will find out is when the battery dies. last thing you want when you start a day.
It depends on what kind of solar panel. We talking about a 30 quid one or a 300 quid one? I was under the impression the cheaper ones didny produce much at all. It would still charge it oviosuly but no where near enough?

Welcome to the forum Sam i see you are just up the road in Hampshire if you need any advice give me a call and pop round

It depends on what kind of solar panel. We talking about a 30 quid one or a 300 quid one? I was under the impression the cheaper ones didny produce much at all. It would still charge it oviosuly but no where near enough?
i have a £19.99 one and it produces 3.4w per hour,

a shurflo pump with a controller would use about 40-50ws an hour,

the solar panel in a day would produce about 40.8watts

its not that much but you dont use the pump that long and over weekends it just keeps it topped up thats all, not designed to run the pump.

i have a £19.99 one and it produces 3.4w per hour,

a shurflo pump with a controller would use about 40-50ws an hour,

the solar panel in a day would produce about 40.8watts

its not that much but you dont use the pump that long and over weekends it just keeps it topped up thats all, not designed to run the pump.
I still don't think its a necessary though

I still don't think its a necessary though
maybe not for a lot of guys, but i know when the van has been sitting doing nothing over the weekend all the batterys are fully charged!

i have one battery in there for the flashing warning lights and thats not connected to a split relay charger, and thats been in there a year with out me having to charge it because its being charged for free all the time!

Back