Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What size tank transit connect swb

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cottonlung

Hi all... looking to purchase a small van for wfp. If anyone has a ford transit connect could you tell me which is the ideal size or the biggest size you can fit without going over payload and leaving some room for some trad bits and bobs incl the hose reel etc.. cheers:)

Check inside the load area of the van if you have it. They all say something different. I have a LWB that can take nearly 900kg and I have a 500 litre tank. If it’s a new connect then it has a smaller payload than the older ones. I’m in the same quandary as you as I’m looking to upgrade. Bigger van is better for business growth. All comes off the tax at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Iv got a small connect and have a 350l tank comfortably, bigger connects can carry a lot more

T230 is 900kg I have a 325l tank and my son loads around 6 x 25l barrels plus his pf nano plus our poles then the weight of roof rack I don't carry ladders unless it for a add on job, but we do have fold up multi purpose ladders in the van for the odd job that requires step ladders. 

We are still under weight and most of my work in within five minute drive we normally come home for lunch and refill if needed.

Sorry don't know about the Swb connects but the t230 lab high top is cheap to insure and tax and good on fuel.

Check inside the load area of the van if you have it. They all say something different. I have a LWB that can take nearly 900kg and I have a 500 litre tank. If it’s a new connect then it has a smaller payload than the older ones. I’m in the same quandary as you as I’m looking to upgrade. Bigger van is better for business growth. All comes off the tax at the end of the day.

Thank you for the info, I haven't had a look inside yet I'm hoping to go later today.. another day rained off grr

T230 is 900kg I have a 325l tank and my son loads around 6 x 25l barrels plus his pf nano plus our poles then the weight of roof rack I don't carry ladders unless it for a add on job, but we do have fold up multi purpose ladders in the van for the odd job that requires step ladders. 

We are still under weight and most of my work in within five minute drive we normally come home for lunch and refill if needed.

Sorry don't know about the Swb connects but the t230 lab high top is cheap to insure and tax and good on fuel.
Cheers den good info thanks :)

The older Connects were;

T200 = 625kg payload,

T220 = 825kgs

T230 = 900kgs.

Son in law had a 53 plate T220 lwb. He had a 500 liter tank in it. He wanted it fitted length ways so he could put stuff down the side.

He could have had the tank fitted width ways as well.

He had a steel mesh bulkhead. His SLX22 went in the back at an angle downwards with the brush head 'folded' back.

My son has a 02 plate Citroen Berlingo and we have had to cut a slot in his bulkhead as his SLX25 extends into the drivers compartment right up to the windscreen.

His van is an 800LX (800kgs payload) and has a 500 liter tank in his van as well.

The older Connects were;

T200 = 625kg payload,

T220 = 825kgs

T230 = 900kgs.

Son in law had a 53 plate T220 lwb. He had a 500 liter tank in it. He wanted it fitted length ways so he could put stuff down the side.

He could have had the tank fitted width ways as well.

He had a steel mesh bulkhead. His SLX22 went in the back at an angle downwards with the brush head 'folded' back.

My son has a 02 plate Citroen Berlingo and we have had to cut a slot in his bulkhead as his SLX25 extends into the drivers compartment right up to the windscreen.

His van is an 800LX (800kgs payload) and has a 500 liter tank in his van as well.
That's a nice chunk of info there cheers spruce.. are there plenty of anchor points to use ratchet straps for securing the tank? 

That's a nice chunk of info there cheers spruce.. are there plenty of anchor points to use ratchet straps for securing the tank? 

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/80732/weight-of-moving-object-in-a-car-collision

"From time to time I see safety warning about keeping loose items in your car. The last warning used a 2kg object, and claimed that if a collision occurred at 50kmh it would have a weight equal to 80kg. At 90kmh it would have a weight of 256kg."

That's a 2kg weight. A 500 liter tank full of water weighs about 515kgs. (a 500 liter baffled tank holds about 480 liters. That equates to 480kgs plus 35kgs for the tank.)

If you look at the load securing hooks in the cargo area they are made from wire which isn't much thicker than wire used to make cheap coat hangers the dry cleaners use. So I wouldn't use those hooks to secure my tank and I'm advising you not to as well. Hopefully never, but this post may one day save your life.

There was a recent accident in Norfolk between 4 vehicles. One of the vehicles involved was a window cleaner. Apparently there wasn't much damage down to the vehicles but the window cleaner was crushed when his tank slid forward and crushed him. Details of the exact situation are unknown at the moment, but I'm sure that more details will be made known when the coronors report.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/man-in-his-20s-dies-in-a1067-collision-1-5277880

This was one of the posts on another forum. "Been told by a friend of the deceased he was 23 and it was a wydale tank strapped in using straps. That's all I know." The cleaner was driving the VW Caddy van.

So you need to seriously consider a steel frame if you go down the cheaper Wyedale tank route. Purefreedom sell them. They cost more than the tank but its your life.

Fitting could also be a bit of a chew as the diesel tank fits between the 'chassis rails' and will probably need to be lowered to fit the securing brackets.

So please, please don't use those hooks provided. They might just be strong enough to stop your brush in an accident, but not a tank of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got a transit t-280 mk7. 27 x 25 litre containers purified. Braking distance aint the best so drive like a grandpa.

Back