Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Setting up a RO/Di kit

WCF

Help Support WCF:

choco

Hi guys, starting up a water fed pole system in the next few weeks. Done a lot of research over the last few months and have come to a bit of a brick wall..

Basically i'm needing a system I can have at the back of the garden, as it's the only space I can have a tank large enough for the water created. There will be no main water pipes, so will have to feed the unpurified water from else where? Is this even possible? For example having http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-75-100gpd-4-STAGE-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-RO-UNIT-WITH-DI-CHAMBER-/271289672464?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item3f2a1fe310 in to a 500 litre tank. There's a drain for the waste water, but what would be th ebest way of feeding the water into it?

I'm terrible when it comes to plumbing, so any help would be masively appreciated.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have my tank outside and keep my ro di in the kitchen, the water is piped from outside to inside and back out again all pure but I don't see why it can't be pumped from the kitchen tap,

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Totally possible. Mine is in a shed which is about 5metres from the outside tap. Feed a hose from the tap to your RO and from your RO to your drain. A booster pump may help with distance if it's a long way. A booster bump also helps dramatically with TDS and life of the membrane. If you don't have an outside tap then you can T into the pipe that feeds your kitchen tap and fit an outdoor tap. It's very easy. If you're no good with plumping then a plumber shouldn't take more than an hour to do it for you. Supplying from the kitchen tap direct will be awkward. You won't get a threaded male connector onto the kitchen tap which means you'll have to get a clamp on type. This will likely leak at high pressure and have to come off every time you need the tap for something else.

Actually just looking at your RO kit you've linked to. It comes with a self piercing water valve. You clamp this around your copper pipe under the kitchen - make sure it's the cold water feed - and tighten it up. It then pierces the pipe and you connect a small supplied plastic hose to it. You just end to find a way to feed this pipe to the back of the garden. Get a longer section of it or splice it.

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the comments back! Luckily a friend of the family is a plumber, crate of beer and he'll do it for me. Last piece of the puzzle, how big a tank do you think I'll need in the van? Will be doing 15-20 houses a day. Majority of the cleaning will be wfp, with some of the downstairs windows traditional. Rough estimate would be 200 windows a day. I'm assuming a 500 litre tank would be enough? I'm doing window and bin cleaning 1 day a week though so will need enough water for windows + around 200 litres for the bins ideally. Very last question, how long can you keep purified water? Could I have a spare tank at home full of it for a week, for example. Or would bacteria and other contaminant s not allow that?

me likes the very last question:) i dont know as i trad ...however....i did use a pure water setup for marine fish...and it is probally safe for a while...one thing mr smurf mentioned is the container it is kept in should really exclude light to make it last longer...

my pure set up did include the self sealing self tapping connection was very good and easy to use and never leaked for me...dont forget you need somewhere for the waste to drain as well...

good info luke elliott the system i am looking at is with or without the booster pump so i was wondering whether it was worth the extra £50 to include the pump../emoticons/smile.png

With respect that small ro even the biggest one listed in the link will be a total waste of money as will take forever to fill a 500 ltr tank

Latest Posts

Back