Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Upstairs flats when you don't do the downstairs one below.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I had the same problem until yesterday.

The tenant in the ground floor flat had been out on previous visits but last month was in and stood there (with no top on ) staring at me. However he didn't come out and complain and his windows were filthy anyways.

Went to clean yesterday, thinking I would give him a quote and he's moved out!! So I posted 3 cards through the letter box and a note stating that I clean the flat above . Here's hoping /emoticons/smile.png

i would of happily gone to court with my customer but she wouldnt let me, she said i shouldn't be dragged in then she got a guilty but i think its quite a rare situation

There's no way I'd touch their windows without permission. Pure water can be justified if needed, who's going to take that to court? but touch their windows, if they decide you've scratched them or other damage, and they have you on camera, could be a sticky situation. I would go round and talk to them about pure dripping on them and offer them a 'discount' price to do them too

There's no way I'd touch their windows without permission. Pure water can be justified if needed, who's going to take that to court? but touch their windows, if they decide you've scratched them or other damage, and they have you on camera, could be a sticky situation. I would go round and talk to them about pure dripping on them and offer them a 'discount' price to do them too
You make a good point @Jimroot

I cleaned my mates flat once, she lived above a hairdressers, the hairdresser came out shouting the odds at me....so I told her which I was making up as I went along that mrs G in the flat above owns her flat as I had asked her before agreeing to clean her windows, I new the hairdressers was rented so she did not have much to say. I was polite tho.!

Be good to know more about the law and flats. I would think there would be somethjng in the leasehold to show a right to have maintenance done, without having to simper around the neighbours too much

I refused to clean flats for this reason but I had so many ask I couldn't let this many customers slip, I now clean lots of 2/3 floor flats and yes I soak the windows below but I don't ever get any hassle at all like I thought I would

Don't touch flats with a WFP.

Trad only either ladder or internal unless you can sew in the whole elevation.

If i came home to find a centuries dirt and soot washed down the wall and the splashback off my cills on my cleaned windows i would not be the happiest neighbour.

I have to eat a bit of humble pie with this one as my approach of mouth shut, being polite & apologising hasn't worked as just got this text from one of my first floor customers

'Hi Alien Human - I m going to have to leave it at the mo as my neighbour went to the caretaker about it & its put me in a really difficult position. I m so gutted as my windows need a good clean at the mo they re awful! But I just can't risk my tenancy if anything changes I ll let u know /emoticons/smile.png '

I am really gutted and now wondering whether I can be bothered with the hassle......

Shame that. Need to get the block onboard really, better for you, better for them. I imagine pride will stop this situation improving though, as to go to the caretaker then retract and employ you would need a bigger shift in thinking than most folk are willing to allow

I have to eat a bit of humble pie with this one as my approach of mouth shut, being polite & apologising hasn't worked as just got this text from one of my first floor customers
'Hi Alien Human - I m going to have to leave it at the mo as my neighbour went to the caretaker about it & its put me in a really difficult position. I m so gutted as my windows need a good clean at the mo they re awful! But I just can't risk my tenancy if anything changes I ll let u know /emoticons/smile.png '

I am really gutted and now wondering whether I can be bothered with the hassle......
I WILL LEAVE THIS ONE TO DAVEYBOY AND TOLISH TO ANSWER...

I SHOUTED but They may not hear...but become hybrid..

you will soon be able to trad...get your squeegee going..

nice honesty in the post though..cant win em all../emoticons/biggrin.png

and of course...you will still have to be very careful as water can still drip

Last edited by a moderator:
I WILL LEAVE THIS ONE TO DAVEYBOY AND TOLISH TO ANSWER...
I SHOUTED but They may not hear...but become hybrid..

you will soon be able to trad...get your squeegee going..

nice honesty in the post though..cant win em all../emoticons/biggrin.png

and of course...you will still have to be very careful as water can still drip
When this first began to rear its ugly head I thought that trad was going to be the solution but the ground floor flats garden comes out too far for me to then get the ladders in position......but CNC you make a good point and if I do these types of cleans in the future then I think I will just get the ladders out and avoid WFP /emoticons/smile.png

or trad pole from a distance but....

I can never get it to work without leaving the odd line..but..

you could just explain that to the custy..

yes you dont want to add trespass or damage to plants to your list of hassle.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I do think jimroot may have won the point most leasehold or tenancy agreements would say access should be allowed for maintenance..ie painters and decorators etc..

ps....nice to hear you still have the ladders../emoticons/biggrin.png

Get a large sheet, place it with large tongs on the sill of the window, commence WFP with a dribble of water. Retract pole, retract sheet without spilling a drop on the garden....

Wait for the lawsuit having breached their airspace :)

yeh I did think of that too jimroot but as you know time is money and time vanishes soo sooo fast...and then you think...I may have been better staying at home:rofl:

it could be worth it if you had a gofor and a lot of upstairs flats...something for the apprentice to do..

mount the sheet on two extending washing props so it folds for storage and unroll and prop up under sill ...

and watch the wind put it two miles away on mrs jones prize roses...

in fact...a new advertising space.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Back