Taking customers to court over debt.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Damo, Nov 5, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Damo

Damo Guru

Had to take my first customer to court this month.

Debt goes back to April of this year.

Lots of texts/emails/letters etc.

I got thomas Higgins involved and that £42:00 debt is now £174:00

She has confirmed today she will pay......£10 per month via the CCJ.

Ah well at least i get paid eh!

Advertisement
  2. Trev81

Trev81 Guru

Thats a great result, fancy getting a CCJ over not paying for your windows to be cleaned! She will regret that massively as it sits on her credit file for the next 6 years!
    I have 2 small debtors I really want to get back more for principal, is there a min amount you need to take them to court?

3. Damo

Damo Guru

£25 is the min, but there is a loop hole.

By law you can charge compensation on late payments. Even if its a day!

She owed me £42 and i could claim £40 compensation. Even after court fees, i actually still make money.

so £10 window cleaning debt - send her letter for £2 plus vat. If she don't pay within 7 days. That £10 will then be £10+£40+£2.40. You can then take her to court. If its over £25 you can threaten court straight away. I went for compensation as i was out of pocket on time/stamps/fuel.

It was never about making money, i would have done it even if it was a loss for me.

I tried EVERYTHING, except camping outside her house. It's a shame, but i have a clear conscience.

4. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Good on you Damo! I have a commercial that owes me from last clean which was 8 weeks ago. They are due again this Saturday, I'll clean them and leave an invoice for double. They are usually slow payers. I have also got a bad vibe of a care home company who I've cleaned 4 properties for. They are all 4 weekly, I've emailed an invoice a week ago and no contact has been made from them. I have proof of agreed prices, addresses and time scales. I might be wrong, but just have a bad feeling on this one.

5. Damo

Damo Guru

I am not enjoying commercial work at the moment, i am owed the most amount i have ever been owed. I have just under a 1/4 of my customers on go cardless and even thats not making a dent in it. I guess its better to be owed loads then none at all.

Yeah it's not a great feeling at all is it. Just lost a commercial job two weeks back, they owe one clean of £xxx! But JUST had remittance email come through today. So hopefully still get paid!

6. Diwrnach

Diwrnach Grand Master

I'm owed £300 for a commercial job, been 3 weeks now, they promise to pay by the end of the week.

I try and avoid commercial work its always the same.

7. CMRwindowcleaning

CMRwindowcleaning Active Member

just out of interest did you ever get a response or reason from her for not paying the bill in the first place?

8. Trev81

Trev81 Guru

It is a principal thing for me with one I did a first clean for back in June (£12) small new build, since then I only take cash for a first clean, sent her many texts and also sent a letter last week to make payment before I file with a small claims. Heard nothing from her at all, only time I have spoke to her was when I knocked to collect payment and she fobbed me off "no cash on her" will pay later via Bacs, never paid me, I'd rather it cost me money now to prove a point to her and to get what is owed paid. I have made a account with who you have used Damo and will start the process with them now, will speak to them on the phone tomorrow.

9. Damo

Damo Guru

They really are a decent company to deal with!

10. Damo

Damo Guru

She called me the day it went to the court stage. She has had a family death. I waited 6 months before it got to this stage. She agreed to pay in August. Family member passed away in Sept. Money owed from April. I don't feel guilty at all on that. Its a real shame as she is/was a nice person. But i am not a mind reader.

I may knock on her door in 2 years time when the debt is paid to see if she wants a cleaner again.

Advertisement