Taking on a large round

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Clisty1989, Feb 10, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

It's looking likely that I will soon be taking over a 430 house round on a 4 weekly basis. I've worked it out that I will have too much work after I include mine, however the round I'm getting is hugely underpriced. Would you put the price up by a lot and lose customers, or would you creep prices up and sell off the rubbish you don't want? I know all the customers already as I've worked with the bloke since I started cleaning windows so I won't lose any because I'm a new face. How would you recommend I go about it? Don't want to employ anyone yet until I have a full round of properly priced work

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

employ a parttimer now-its not as much hassle as you might think.

i would drop any house that you know has complications [high gate/ leaded/ etc ] ,drop em now rather than increase the price and STILL hate doing it, before you get on the treadmill .

i recently dropped a chunk of my round ,altho id done it 8yrs ,decent money too- these houses were a drag to me[ high gate to hurdle ,3 storey etc] and its felt like a big weight has come offer my shoulders,given me back my smile too

3. David K

David K Forum Addict

If they are really underpriced bump Them up ,Or Walk away from the deal .
    Anyone Can get Much work at low prices. I would sync them with your own customers prices . Do it fast or you will hate that round.

4. Scots lad

Scots lad Active Member

I'd dump the rubbish and bump everyone up to what your looking to earn an hour

5. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

Just to give you a better idea of how this work has come my way, a family member took this round over last year when his old boss retired, and at that point I started working with him. The rounds been going for 25+ years, and the old boss never really put his prices up. Turns out he was a bit if a cowboy and he employed people on a self employed basis. Since he retired we have started putting prices up, and started to get rid of the rubbish however my father in law may have to give up work due to ill health, and he's giving me all the work. I know all the customers and have an idea how much I would charge. All the poor access ones have already been chinned off, and have a good rapport with most of them. The prices on 50% of them is around half what I would charge as he is creeping them up instead of a big jump. Don't want to employ someone as I have only been doing this for 8 months and feel I lack experience running a business

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Don't worry about experience mate
    I employed someone when i was subbing all my work years ago
    All the info you need is online if you wanna do it legit
    If you have the work to warrant it go for it

Or you could explain to the customers that the prices need serious adjustment as they haven't been altered for years and it is now uneconomical to continue cleaning them due to the cost of living etc has gone up every year
    If you put all of them up 25% you would have to lose a fair few to still be on the same money with a lot less customers so.i wouldn't worry about putting them up
    100 £10 monthly customers is £1000
    75 £12.50 customers is £1000
    Look at it like that and sod em if they want out

7. Damo

Damo Guru

I was in the same boat years ago i decided to creep up the prices. Mainly because you don't know whats round the corner with work. I had a £10 house which should be £18. Cleaned it maybe 2/3 times and was gonna put the price up. She had to go into a home and the new owner wanted to keep me on. How much is it? It's £20. Ohhhh lovely carry on.

So i could have sacked her off and lost an easy £20 house.

Just an example mind

8. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

The worst ones are 4 houses 8 weekly I'd price at 15-20 and there currently paying 6! I've been trying to persuade him to either bump up to at least 10 or bin them hopefully he is doing it next time we due

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

**** that's a big jump mate
    Could get a bit awkward

10. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

I think if they say no ill bin em, he's kept them as he's been doing them for 25 years!

Advertisement