TAKING ON AN EMPLOYEE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by jordan, May 12, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jordan

jordan Member

I am doing good with work and have a big round but my friend has asked to work for me for £60 a day so basically £300 a week.
    i am thinking of trying it all getting him to do window cleaning +painting +anything to make money.
    so i am thinking of buying him a van advertise it and get him canvassing for a month and learn it all in a month and leaflet droppping,so probably about £6000 to buy van and kit and advertise.

whats the best way of taking him on? is the best way for him to be self employed and get all the customers to pay me and he can invoice me every week for his wages?
    or is it best for him to charge all the customers and send me the extra after his wages?
    also would i need any different insurance or would he have to do that himself?i have public liability for myself!
    also best way for him to be insured for his van? would you expect him to pay his van insurance himself?
    He will only be making £15 an hour to start off with
    He has to do his own accounts and national insurance !
    does he need to claim start a new business or can i just do it through my business and just buy a van and out graphics on it and off we go?
    Have i missed Thankyou i know it will be stressful to start off with but if he stays it could be good :)

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Employers liability insurance.

Is that £60 per day net or gross?

You are responsible for paying his taxes

You are responsible for paying his NI

You are responsible for paying his Pension

You will need additional insurance for the new van.

You will need to pay daily fuel for the new van.

You will need to pay MOT on the van

You will need to pay 'Road fund licence' on the new van.

You will need to pay ongoing maintanance on the new van.

You will need him to understand why he only gets £60 a day when he does £200 - £300 of revenue for you.

MOST importantly..... you will need to be good enough to cover all his work as well as yours as soon as he gets bored and quits.

I have walked this path. Never again. Utmost respsct to those that make it work.

3. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

This is difficult.t U can't have him self emploŷed if it ur van an tools.
    So ur getting him to build a business in a month to learn it in and out and work flat out ? I've a guy working and been here a month and still learning. He is slowly picking up speed etc

I think it be best to bring him with u for a few months then get him out in a van employed by u To serif it is goin work first

4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

he needs to "earn his stripes" first. one way might be to set him out leafletting 1st, with the promise of work on the windows IF he does it well
    then set him going with a patch to cover that you can check that hes doing it. a family member might follow him from a distance. after a few hours you can phone him up, tell him youv got an errand to drive to quite a distance it is-but dont worry youll be back in 3 hours
    if hes a lazy shirker he will sit down immediately after your call and remain there for ages

5. Fönster putsning Bergdahl

I did start as subcontract. I feel that was easy start for me.
    I was payed by the job not by hour. At start did not have own tools but got better money when had my own tools 50/50 is a good start
    70/30 with own tools

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

6. jordan

jordan Member

i didn't realise i had to pay his taxes and NI? and pension if hes self employed and not employed?
    with tools can i not just buy him all the tools and van and put it in my year accounts?
    Is it really that difficult ? if he earns me £120 a day and i pay him £60 surely its worth it?

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

its worth it ,but better to employ him and do his taxes ,pay the dues etc. why? because if you ask him to go self employed ,he might agree but then soon after get into a right muddle and ,as youre his main employer itll be YOU the taxman comes after . iv known several men lose their small businesses over unpaid taxes in this sort of situation

8. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

jordan been reading these threads with interest, canny see him going out in your van knocking his pan in collecting, working on his own to be happy taking £60 home.
    This has been on my mind long time now trying to work this out i,ve got loads of work got mate with me just training him up and in the ideal world when trained send him out and make duncs loads of cash happy days.
    I just think its alot of risk
    van & system ( your hard earned cash )
    if you dont give hime gd rate and look after him he wont be happy and leave

9. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Me too Green I really cannot be arsed with the hassle

10. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

No expert but what your proposing is trying to get round employment laws/taxes etc by registering him as self employed.

If he is self employed then he would subcontract from you, however since youll be his only source of income when the tax man comes knocking you will be in the **** as they will soon suss what you are up to.

Also if he goes elf employed, what the chances of him sticking with you when he realises he can earn all the money doing it himself.

Just bite the bullet and do it properly, do your calculations and if you think it can work go for it..if it doesnt work it doesnt work, trying to cut corners usually ends up in tears.

Advertisement