Taking on an old lag

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by boarcity, Nov 25, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#1 boarcity, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    have any of you had any dealings with jailbirds,a criminal past - if so give me your insights

im lookin for a new worker and a friend has mentioned this guy,not long out of clink. i hear hes desperate to work ,which is what intrests me , the keenness

i understand hes never been a thief, just violence . would you give him a trial? ,,,

trial , thats fitting isnt it

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

My missus took on window cleaner many moons ago to clean ours that done a good job when he turned up. Problem was the chap was not very regular as was either in hiding from the bill or banged up.

It is up to you if you want to take the guy on but unless he has dramatically changed then he could end up being a liability to your business.

Myself I would not take someone on like that but I'm sure a good percentage of ppl out there in this game have got a dodgy past. That is why they end up working for themselves surely?

3. abs

abs Guru

I've worked with a bloke who did ten years inside for armed robbery , fantastic guy to work with and loyal and trustworthy , also worked with a guy who did time for nearly killing a fella cause he had a affair with his wife , actually turned out to be a big softy , got to take each one different and go with your gut feeling

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Diwrnach

Diwrnach Grand Master

All depends on circumstances really.

I have a shady past, but I was homeless on and off between the ages of 16 and 20, so I did what I had to do to survive.

I am though a big softy and honest as they come.

5. abs

abs Guru

If they tell you there background and you still give them a job they will respect you , you have to trust people until they prove otherwise ,remember though not all can change some folk are scumbags till they die no matter how many chances they get

6. PTWC

PTWC Guest

Ideal, he'd be great for collecting the money from the customers.
    But if he has the shakes, (from drink) then probably no good up a ladder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. abs

abs Guru

Yes I would give him a go and id put him on a two week trial arrange to pick him up from a set place convenient for you every morning and drop him there evenings when you've done, that way if he isn't any good and you have to drop him after 2 weeks later he won't be hanging around where you pick up other workers and he won't know your house

8. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

What if you wanted to sack him in the future? Would his sentence for violence bother you? It would me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. boarcity

boarcity Guest

cheers for the advice lads - after reading them ,im going to give him a go, big nursing home on his 1st morning should settle him in

10. cheapncheerful

it really depends on what the person has done...bearing in mind what tuffers said...he may be a great worker...i always have and always will believe everyone should get a second chance....in fact i like three strikes and your out but...when your out..you are out full stop...:thumbsup:....but...keep an :specson him...as im sure you will..

and when you have to sack him.....dont forget to blame tuffers...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
Advertisement