Talk to me about hose reels

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Solarpanelcleanington, May 17, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

  1. Solarpanelcleanington

    Solarpanelcleanington Forum Addict
    Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2015
    Messages:
    702
    Likes Received:
    158
    At the moment I clean all my residential jobs from a backpack on a sack truck. However, I do carry a 650 tank with pump box and 100 metre hose for solar panel jobs, usually 200 panels a time.
    Thinking of cleaning windows from the tank also, as im all for saving time and earning more but know my cheap hose reel won't last being worked hard for a week.

    What hose reel do you all use?
    What do you wish you used?
    Which ones should I avoid?

    Cheers

    Ole
     
    Advertisement
  2. Brandon

    Brandon Active Member
    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2016
    Messages:
    121
    Likes Received:
    14
    I've got this Metal Hose Reel c/w 100m WINTECS 6mm Hose Complete

    Well built, easy to assemble. Bit on the heavy side. Does tend to leak internally but could be that I didn't tighten it up enough and I can't be bothered to take it apart and sort it but something to look out for.

    Comes with 100m 6mm microbore hose which is a bonus
    Overall a nice reel.


    Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app
     
  3. adamangler

    adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior
    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,148
    Likes Received:
    638
    Although I wouldNT really recommend using a cheap hose reel you might be surprised how long they last. I started with £30 plastic hoselock one 18 months ago and I still use it today.I want a new one but this one is ok I don't reel in after every job now I just throw the hose in the van and reel it up at the end of the day find it much quicker and easier.
     
  4. CHWS

    CHWS Forum Addict
    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    188
    I agree with the hose lock reel, iv a clover reel and it's too heavy compared to the hose lock. Saying that iv 30m more hose on it. My uncles have been using hose lock from they started using wfp about 7 years ago. I think they've replaced them once if even
     
  5. adamangler

    adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior
    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,148
    Likes Received:
    638
    i keep mine light by using 60-70m on it.

    i find thats enough for 95% of my work, the other 5% i use the trolley.
    dont think ill bother upgrading till i can afford a power up one
     
  6. Solarpanelcleanington

    Solarpanelcleanington Forum Addict
    Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2015
    Messages:
    702
    Likes Received:
    158
    Are you guys lifting the reel in and out? Is fixing it to the van a better option?
     
  7. CHWS

    CHWS Forum Addict
    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    188
    I lift mine in and out for the fact I can pull up anyway and point the reel in any direction I need it, I'd imagine it to be a nuisance bolted in for the way I Park etc
     
  8. Diwrnach

    Diwrnach Grand Master
    Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2014
    Messages:
    3,318
    Likes Received:
    953
    I used a hozelock reel just as a stop gap before getting a good reel, that was about a year ago and its still going fine, only have 60m on it but not needed more yet.

    I always put the rel on the floor can point it where your going and pull hose of much easier.
     
  9. Solarpanelcleanington

    Solarpanelcleanington Forum Addict
    Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2015
    Messages:
    702
    Likes Received:
    158
    If parking is no issue ( I mostly clean detached places with space) then is it best to bolt it down? Is there some sort of turntable you can mount them on? That'd be ace.
     
  10. Diwrnach

    Diwrnach Grand Master
    Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2014
    Messages:
    3,318
    Likes Received:
    953
    That way most have the hose going through a roller so it works from any angle.

    I just find it better to have it on the floor, but do what works for you, no right or wrong.
     
Advertisement