TDS reading at room temperature?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by paddy, Apr 28, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. paddy

paddy Active Member

I was told my TDS reading had to be taken at room temp, is this true? if so ....why?

Advertisement
  2. cheapncheerful

utter rubbish in my eyes....its either 000 or not...its to do with electrical conductivity and dont know where temprature comes in on that..

.unless of course....you get near....absolute zero..
    then it get s very strange..

wheres that sprucey hes the man who knows these things..:D

3. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Spruce will no doubt be on the 'clean it up' forum!

4. cheapncheerful

er...ya cant mention that name on here..:eek::eek::eek:

he was on here this morning I think so he will find this post soon..

5. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#5 spruce, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    The tds reading of hot water will increase. The cleaners who use hot water have discovered that long time ago. But as the same water cools the tds will drop.

I have just done an experiment and I'm Gogsmacked TBH. Same water from the tap.

Current tap water temp = 15 degrees C tds = 97

Water temp raised to 30 degrees C - water tds 133

Water temp raised to 50 degrees C - water tds 186 to 197. (It wouldn't settle.)

Wow!

I will get some water off the van in a few minutes and try the same experiment.

Added later:

Temperature of water off the van = 10 degrees; water tds 0.

Same water raised to 30 degrees C = water tds 0.

Water temperature raised to 50 degrees C = water tds 1.

What does this mean? Does it mean that warmer water uses more resin to bring it to zero if you are di only? I don't know the answer to that one.

The warmest I have ever seen our tap water at is 20 degrees. The coldest has been 5 degrees.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. cheapncheerful

ahh see I knew sprucey would know ...I stand corrected...its all to do with energy...:D

I suppose what is in there is ...moving about a lot more...

I will tell you about my experiment with making colloidal silver one day...:D well it is fun....

I was meaning a tds reading of 000 means nothing in the water so....temp cant effect it....but certainly tap water having stuff in it which would move a lot faster hot...

now your going to get me microwaving my pure to see what happens....:rolleyes:

7. cheapncheerful

ahh love late night science experiments...

so took some pure from my drinking supply...yep I love pure..but ..

its not pure as its my tedious creep water draw..ie the first couple of litres and it scared me as it came back at 003

and as in all scientific experiments....you have to factor in many variables...

as in ...how clean is my dishwasher clean pint pot...and also...how much dirt is entering from the atmosphere of this dump of a house all the time but..

one minute in the microwave....and....it moved from 003 to 004 ..but...then went back to 003 again....hmmm more research will have to be done....still I wanted a drink of water anyway..:D

8. spruce

spruce Grand Master

I think you are right - the particles are more agitated when they get hotter.:)

9. You'd think that as water increased in temperature it would increase in volume, but the particles would remain the same. How would that affect electrical resistance? Does a Tds meter work like an ec truncheon?
    I dunno.

10. cheapncheerful

dont know what an ec truncheon is wheres google...

a tds meter really just measures electrical conductivity which increases with the impurities in the water..

to my mind at 000 there is nothing in the water so it cant increase..what ever the temprature.

so my experiments will have to continue..:D

I think I will get frank to put a positive and negative lead rated at 50volts in pure keeping them seperate and stick his finger in to see if he gets a shock...:D well hes shocked me a few times..

Advertisement