TDS Readings

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by rugbywolf, Dec 3, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Will someone explain to me what this is and how you do it, and what you need to do it.

Advertisement
  2. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)
    The readings that show on most TDS meters are parts per million. In simple terms how dirty it is. A low tds like say 50 for example is very damn good a reading of 200+ is really not so great.

The readings will be different in different areas. I am in Cornwall and my reading is 95-100.

You can grab a tds meter from here and many other places http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/catalogbody.html&WD=tds&PN=tdsez-water-quality-test-meter-by-hm-digital.html

We have created a map here for users to show their readings so people get an idea in different areas. http://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/pages/ppmmap/

3. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

Cornwall eh Gav......
    I'm off on a day-trip to GARDINERS tomorrow to pick-up a load of goodies....woohoo :D.

4. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

sory to go off topic wat part of cornwall u frm m8 my other half is frm padstow or padstine as she would say

5. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I nearly moved to Penzance a few years back. True story.

6. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Ha bit further down than that. Truro.

Great water down here!

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

TDS meters work by passing a very low electric current through the two prongs to measure the conductivity of the water. The lower the ppm reading is the less dissolved solids are in the water. Simples

8. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Yes, thanks, very interesting. I was looking on you tube people collecting rain water for wfp, so is it low enough to use without any further treatment?

9. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I would say no as even rainwater falling from the sky maybe good enough by the time it flows from a roof into guttering the rainwater becomes contaminated so ppm can rises quite high. For me I harvest it then the water gets past through pre filters then a di setup before being pumped into the van tank.

10. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Advertisement