TEC3M Split charge relay

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by marc674, Mar 23, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. marc674

marc674 Newcomer

After the garage letting me down for the second time today "Oh the guy who was going to do that has gone home" thats ok just waste my time mate !!! I have decided to fit it myself which I should of done in the first place! Looks easy enough from instructions but I am not sure what sort of wire I should use
    been thinking 30amp wire should
    Be ok ?? ( the holes for relay switch are very small) I know i should use a inline fuse just after van battery but what amp should this be? any advice on this would be much appreciated. I have attached a few pics of the relay switch. Thanks

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

spruce Is our in house man for this

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

30 amp tri-rated cable will be fine by the meters you require - usually 5 or 6 meters.
    Don't forget to order some black as well for the leisure battery earth to chassis.

Short length of 1.0 or 1.5mm black cable to earth the relay.

2 x inline fuse holders with 20 amp fuses. If you do blow a 20 amp fuse then you could upgrade to a 25 amp, but no higher.
    I like these;
    Standard Inline Splash Proof Blade Fuse Holder for Auto Fuses 12V / 30A/ 30Amp

Order a few fuses as spares. First fuse holder close to starter battery, the second close to the leisure battery - so on either side of the SCR.

Order an assortment of eye or ring terminals. Usually 6.4 and 8.4 are enough.

You will need a soldering iron to join cables and eye terminals and a couple of lengths of heatshrink or electrical insulation tape to insulate cable joins. You could use 30 amp strip connectors but they always look ugly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. marc674

marc674 Newcomer

Thanks Spruce that really helps.

So the relay earth is just to the van body and not the battery?
    as for the leisure battery earth to chassis is that connected direct to the chassis or will the van floor be ok?
    On the left of the relay at the front there is a small hole with a screw in it,do you have any idea what this is for? Only got a basic wiring diagram with the relay

5. Green Pro Clean Ltd

This is a Tec3m - hope it helps.

• List
  6. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#6 spruce, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    To chassis would also be to a screw on the van floor. You just have to make sure you have a good earth by removing the paint so the terminal is in contact with clean metal. Once its all tightened down then you can paint over it.
    I wouldn't bother with a black earth cable all the way back to the starter battery. You will just need a good contact on the van's body which is just as good.

You won't need to concern yourself with that small hole with screw behind it on the pc board.
    Its an adjustment to change the cut in/cut out voltage settings. I can't find a spec with this detail on your TEC3M but my VSR (voltage sensitive relay) will only connect the Leisure battery to the van's starter battery when the van's starter battery is fully charged and is 13.7V or over (engine running being charged by alternator) and will cut out if the van's starter battery falls below 12.8V (engine switched off - no alternator charging). (When charging the batteries the alternator can push out around 14.4 to 14.5 volts. Newer vans will charge at a higher voltage than 14.5v).
    Cutting out at 12.8v ensures that the leisure battery can never drain the van's battery.

I would imagine yours is similar. If the setting 'wanders off' then it can be reset by adjusting this screw either clockwise or anticlockwise. You probably won't be able to adjust this yourself without a multimeter. Setting the cutout at 12.8v will be the place to start

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. marc674

marc674 Newcomer

Thanks for the help guys

Advertisement