Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water supplier and expenditure

S

SolarPanelCleaning

I'm moving into a house next week ( like freaking Lego land) and was wondering if I'm obliged to tell my water supplier that I'm using water for business purposes. I'd rather not.

Also, what percentage of my water bill should I claim as business expenditure when doing my tax returns?

If your new house is not on a water meter....happy days :thumbsup:.

If it is on a meter, I believe you can have a second meter fitted for your business.....that way you're only charged for water used and not for sewerage aswell...........I think :confused:.

Not on a meter. Not sure of tds yet......!

If I use my garage as office and workplace, I'm guessing that a proportion of my housing cost would be tax deductable? As would any electric used to pump water etc.

Mind you, don't have to worry about this for a while yet.

Thank feck we have fought tooth and nail here not to have water charges! Though we do pay in other ways, just a different label!

Don't tell your water supplier anything, they don't need to know unless it's your desire for them to come up with a way to make you pay more than you need to. If you are a sole trader and not on a water meter then you can claim for "use of house as office". This will encompass all your expenses, i.e. electric, space, laundry etc etc. You don't have to be exact, just a reasonable figure to what all these things might add up to. Thereafter you increase this by inflation year on year- unless circumstances change & the sum has to be adjusted to cater for any substantially increased expense. It's the easiest & IMO the best way to go it's also the way my chartered accountant uses for me./emoticons/wink.png

I'm on a water meter and have never told them, nor have they ever asked.

Our bill went from £50 to £78 per month after starting wfp. The household makes a payment of £50 per month and the business pays £28.

This way there is a clear payment every month to the water company, and I feel that £28 a month is not a high price to pay for my most important material.

Nice one amigo. Popping over to new house tomorrow to sign stuff. Will take tds meter and pray!

Latest Posts

Back