Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

temperature probe on a hot day!....webasto diesel heater....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dazmond

a weird thing happened today....my temperature display on my controller was showing -2 and the frost stat kicked in AFTER i turned my heater off for the day so when i got home my heater had turned itself on....i turned the heater/frost stat off on my controller and let it go through its shut down cycle....

my water has been scalding hot this afternoon,maybe the heater had overheated a bit and caused a malfunction?anyway i topped my coolant up in the header tank as i think it was running a bit low....ill try it again tomorrow...

any ideas fellas?

Probably the temperature probe has failed, mine has 3 of them. 2 are meant to show the water temperature for each reel and the other one shows the real temperature. One of them is stuck on 99, doesn't affect anything as it's just what the water temp on reel 1 is. If your air temperature probe has failed and is stuck at -2  then frost stat will always kick in and you will need to get another one fitted.  

Probably the temperature probe has failed, mine has 3 of them. 2 are meant to show the water temperature for each reel and the other one shows the real temperature. One of them is stuck on 99, doesn't affect anything as it's just what the water temp on reel 1 is. If your air temperature probe has failed and is stuck at -2  then frost stat will always kick in and you will need to get another one fitted.  
ill just turn the frost stat off if thats the case for now.......cheers mate....

a weird thing happened today....my temperature display on my controller was showing -2 and the frost stat kicked in AFTER i turned my heater off for the day so when i got home my heater had turned itself on....i turned the heater/frost stat off on my controller and let it go through its shut down cycle....

my water has been scalding hot this afternoon,maybe the heater had overheated a bit and caused a malfunction?anyway i topped my coolant up in the header tank as i think it was running a bit low....ill try it again tomorrow...

any ideas fellas?
I had mine coming on and after an hour or two going off. I had run Catclean through my engine and it went through the webasto heater also which I thought would clean it out. I just went for a re-set a few times by pulling out the fuse and turning heater off and then back on again, its working fine now. Oliver is coming up this month so I will discuss it with him but you can't go wrong with a re-set to clear things out. ?

The temperature sensor for the Frostat is in the pipe exiting the heater. It has nothing to do with the Webasto heater/furnace itself.

As @Part Timersays, it will be an issue with the sensor that activates the Frostat reading the temperature incorrectly.

Mine has been acting all kinds of strange recently, i turn it on in the morning, after 5-10mins gets really hot, its hissing, steam coming out of the top of the unit, literally fills the back of the van, then it shuts it self down.

been to webasto service centre, they say there's nothing wrong with the heater! x-line says it sounds like a the thermostat. 

had a service around 3months ago, been fine until now! ?

Mine has been acting all kinds of strange recently, i turn it on in the morning, after 5-10mins gets really hot, its hissing, steam coming out of the top of the unit, literally fills the back of the van, then it shuts it self down.

been to webasto service centre, they say there's nothing wrong with the heater! x-line says it sounds like a the thermostat. 

Sounds like the circulation pumps not working 

how long have you had yours?my heater is 3 and a half years old and its never missed a beat apart from needing a new fuse and burner change after 3 years....i use mine day in/day out

im not working today so ill fire up my heater and see how it is today

all webasto heaters have a safety feature to stop it overheating...have you checked the coolant in the header tank?it should be 3/4 full.....

i had my heater running for an hour this morning recirculating back to tank.....absolutely no problems at all with the frost stat on or off...temperature display reading fine....strange....i did top up the header tank with some fresh coolant. yesterday though.....

my thoughts are that my water and heater were that hot yesterday afternoon that it caused a malfunction on the frost stat/thermostat?...i dont know......but it seems to have corrected itself....

I had mine coming on and after an hour or two going off. I had run Catclean through my engine and it went through the webasto heater also which I thought would clean it out. I just went for a re-set a few times by pulling out the fuse and turning heater off and then back on again, its working fine now. Oliver is coming up this month so I will discuss it with him but you can't go wrong with a re-set to clear things out. ?
are you getting a fault code?...(little red light on side of heater,count the long flashes)

The temperature sensor for the Frostat is in the pipe exiting the heater. It has nothing to do with the Webasto heater/furnace itself.

As @Part Timersays, it will be an issue with the sensor that activates the Frostat reading the temperature incorrectly.
hi spruce.....it must be this!because i ve just heard my heater fire up 20 mins ago and the temperature display is flashing at 32c!i have now turned my frost stat off and will be keeping it off for the time being!

hi spruce.....it must be this!because i ve just heard my heater fire up 20 mins ago and the temperature display is flashing at 32c!i have now turned my frost stat off and will be keeping it off for the time being!
Might try taking the fuse out of the fuse holder on the frostat's power supply cable and leave it for 10 minutes. It might just need a reboot.

If that doesn't work then I would send the controller back to Spring for testing. If the controller is ok then I would ask them to match a replacement temperature sender unit and change the one on the van out for the new one. Winter is a long away off atm but time flies.

Might try taking the fuse out of the fuse holder on the frostat's power supply cable and leave it for 10 minutes. It might just need a reboot.

If that doesn't work then I would send the controller back to Spring for testing. If the controller is ok then I would ask them to match a replacement temperature sender unit and change the one on the van out for the new one. Winter is a long away off atm but time flies.
ill try the fuse spruce...i have 2(a yellow and red one)its the yellow one i take out to reboot the heater/system i think....if that doesnt work ill leave it and just bung an oil filled radiator in the back on cold nights....the controller is integrated into my heater cabinet...it would be a pain to take it out and send it off

according to the grippatank manual i got with the heater it says to take the yellow fuse out with the controller and heater ON, leave for 10 seconds then turn controller OFF,refit fuse then turn it back ON to reset the system......

Back