Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with ro please!!

Carlwindy

Right guys a bit of help please! I've had my ro for around 2 years but only ever really used my pole for those awkward windows but in the last few months I've been using it more and more and I noticed that my resin started not to last very long so I checked the tds coming out of my ro and it was over 200 lol! So my question is do I need new filters/membrane or both? Thanks.

You generally have to change prefilters every 3 months. Because of the way you are asking it sounds as though you have never replaced prefilters. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

With water coming out that bad (you haven't told us your tap water tds) then you need new membranes as well. Changing prefilters will do nothing to improve the quality of the water your membranes are producing.

I have nothing against Collins Water but you need to be buying membranes from a supplier that sells a better quality membrane that suit window cleaning applications. Their membranes are cheap but aren't as efficient as membranes Gardiners and Daqua sell. IMHO now is the time to replace the 100GPD membranes with 150GPD ones and replace the restrictor if your r/o has one.

I'm sure if you had done a search you would have brought up this thread 6 weeks ago which has lots of useful info.

more ro stuff

At the moment, what waste to pure ratio is your r/o working at?

Last edited by a moderator:
You generally have to change prefilters every 3 months. Because of the way you are asking it sounds as though you have never replaced prefilters. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
With water coming out that bad (you haven't told us your tap water tds) then you need new membranes as well. Changing prefilters will do nothing to improve the quality of the water your membranes are producing.

I have nothing against Collins Water but you need to be buying membranes from a supplier that sells a better quality membrane that suit window cleaning applications. Their membranes are cheap but aren't as efficient as membranes Gardiners and Daqua sell. IMHO now is the time to replace the 100GPD membranes with 150GPD ones and replace the restrictor if your r/o has one.

I'm sure if you had done a search you would have brought up this thread 6 weeks ago which has lots of useful info.

more ro stuff

At the moment, what waste to pure ratio is your r/o working at?
i got my 3 x 100 membranes off ebay, but good quality, around £100, what a difference, if you need a booster pump get the purefreedom one, unless you are lucky enough to leave tap on 24/7. My 300 + booster pump give 220 litres in around 3 hours. my tap water is around 148 into 300 ro, comes out at 003, through 2x 10 inch DI vessls

I will just change the filters and mebranes with some decent ones then! No I have never changed anything on it because I haven't really used it that much tell recently. My tap tds is 350! I don't no nothing about ro's but looking at it I'm guessing they is 3 pre filters vertical and 2 membranes at the top horizontal..is that right?

I will just change the filters and mebranes with some decent ones then! No I have never changed anything on it because I haven't really used it that much tell recently. My tap tds is 350! I don't no nothing about ro's but looking at it I'm guessing they is 3 pre filters vertical and 2 membranes at the top horizontal..is that right?
Yes

OK. Your are correct.

Collins have used 2 x 150 GPD membranes to get the 300GPD spec. Most others have 3 x membrane housings using 100GPD membranes. So you can only order 150GPD membranes. Ordering 2 x 100 GPD will slow water production down by a third.

The prefilters are the 3 you refer to. However caution is needed as I don't know the configuration of r/o that Collins supplies. On the r/o I first started with the first prefilter was a sediment prefilter. The second was a carbon block. The third was a small di vessel. Other suppliers choose to supply a sediment prefilter, a carbon block and then a GAC filter to make the water taste better which doesn't apply to window cleaners. They don't have an 'on-board' di vessel.

What di vessel are you using?

Daqua sell 150 GPD membranes. Gardiners don't. Daqua also sell 10" sediment and long life carbon block prefilters. You need 1 sediment filter and 1 carbon block. If you have another housing which has a GAC filter then you just remove it and leave the housing empty. Personally I would upgrade the system by adding another housing, a couple of support brackets, some more 1/4" tubing and John Guest t pieces. Your r/o will produce water a little faster with 3 x 150GPD membranes working and the upgrade isn't that expensive.

I have never seen a mention of window cleaning application on the Collins website site, probably for good reason. IMHO their r/o's are not up to window cleaning standards. But windies still buy from them as they are a couple of pounds cheaper. The membranes they sell are Asian copies of American quailty products. They are cheap but long term its false economy.

How do you control your waste water through the r/o?

I just use 2 separate 10" do vessels attached to the ro! My waste goes down a drain! I think I will just get the pre filters and membrane for now then maybe upgrade the system after Christmas.

I just use 2 separate 10" do vessels attached to the ro! My waste goes down a drain! I think I will just get the pre filters and membrane for now then maybe upgrade the system after Christmas.

Just been doing some homework online I'm gonna get pre filters and two 150gpd membranes from daqua, also a booster pump. See how i get on with that /emoticons/smile.png

Just been doing some homework online I'm gonna get pre filters and two 150gpd membranes from daqua, also a booster pump. See how i get on with that /emoticons/smile.png
are you sure they are 150 membranes you have and not 2x100 in them now. did you buy it as a 300ro., you can get a 300ro for near £149 new

filters are cheap, membranes around £30 each, search for best deal.

i got my 3 x 100 membranes off ebay, but good quality, around £100, what a difference, if you need a booster pump get the purefreedom one, unless you are lucky enough to leave tap on 24/7. My 300 + booster pump give 220 litres in around 3 hours. my tap water is around 148 into 300 ro, comes out at 003, through 2x 10 inch DI vessls

Have you got a link to the pure freedom booster pump please

are you sure they are 150 membranes you have and not 2x100 in them now. did you buy it as a 300ro., you can get a 300ro for near £149 newfilters are cheap, membranes around £30 each, search for best deal.
Yeh mate I am 100% it's a 300gpd

Back