That'll teach me.

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by AnMadraRua, Sep 22, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. AnMadraRua

AnMadraRua Member

Quoted a first clean over the phone last week based on what customer told me. When I got there the house was bigger than I thought and the windows/conservatory where absolutely mining. I charged £15 and it took me 1 1/2 hours, that's £10 hour, a lot less than I want to be earning.

Advertisement
  2. seye

seye Forum Addict

Thats a bummer mate,Its best not to quote untill you have actually seen property as you have learned unless you know for definite the house concerned. But we all learn from our mistakes you'll know next time.
    Sent from my RM-976_1115 using Tapatalk

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. rshandyman

rshandyman Forum Addict

Me the same. I quoted 65 for fascia,soffits and gutters clean plus windows- few jobs already done for him and it is going to take 8 hours because it does not come off easily need to do it by hand with pvc cleaner...so 8 pounds and on top of that I killed my pressure washer... :(

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

You can now see why I charge the amount that I do now as have also been caught out before giving prices over the phone.

6. boarcity

boarcity Guest

if i turn up and things are much worse/bigger i always tell them straight that i cannot do it for original price . nearly everybody is fine with it. the ones who arent usually lied about the state of the place anyway

did one last week,where they had had chickens living in the house-free range! + insulin phials scattered everywhere inside and out

7. AnMadraRua

AnMadraRua Member

I'm only a newbie so it's another lesson learned.

8. TolishAPurd

This^ is exactly what I do. I always give an 'estimate' on the phone and if I'm a little bit out then I take it on the chin. But if its wildly different to what I expected then I am up front with the customer, and detail the reasons why it'll be more. I've not had one yet that has disagreed.

When on the phone use phrases like: 'estimate', 'it shouldn't be more than', 'it'll be around £___'.

These phrases don't tie you down to a price or any kind of verbal contract. So long as you keep things honest you'll never have anything held against you.

9. rshandyman

rshandyman Forum Addict

I do not work like that.My quotation is solid and I need to loose on this one.I would not feel right.on the other hand when the things go better than expected do you charge less?;)

10. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

RS what the guys are saying you just have to cover your back, you mis quote on couple of jobs per week we would all be sick
    working for nowt there is nowt worse. You can catch up in summer, extra job but the short days your time is lost

Advertisement